• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

McMaster-Carr

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
So you can have the account business address as one address, and a ship to address as a different address?
If that’s the case one member could set up a “group account” that everyone could use?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist
I've been meaning to ask what the shipboard Covid protocol was?

It is the same as the area we are in - so if we are in a green zone - masks, wash etc and limit exposure. and a red zone we stay on the ship and keep to ourselves. Since we have been on the ship at the base and essentially away from the general public for the past 19 ish days, we (on the ship) basically are locking down for the remainder to make sure we can get home for Christmas (23rd leave for home) without having issues likes colds, flues or the dreaded plague that would prevent travel (some folks have to fly) and of course not bringing anything home.

It has been a bit of a time keeping things working out well considering we are in a tin can of sorts but everybody has been healthy so far - knock wood! We are off sailing around doing the regular work right now so we are social distanced from the public by a polar bear swim distance.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There actually was a company out east that was set up specifically to take your MCMC order, process it through their own legitimate business account & send you the goods. Their name may have even been a cute play on words like 'We are not MCMC' or something like that. Good idea but.. it added extra processing time and of course they add their processing fees on top. As we have been saying, the nice part of MCMC is having a bunch of diverse things show up all in one box & showing up quickly.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There actually was a company out east that was set up specifically to take your MCMC order, process it through their own legitimate business account & send you the goods. Their name may have even been a cute play on words like 'We are not MCMC' or something like that. Good idea but.. it added extra processing time and of course they add their processing fees on top. As we have been saying, the nice part of MCMC is having a bunch of diverse things show up all in one box & showing up quickly.
One of the appealing things about McMaster is their crazy range of products and fast shipping.
In BC for under $150 I can register a business and get a BN. I might do it just to be legitimate in their eyes.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : if we recover against the US dollar it would be awesome. They ship all kinds of metals and you can pick and choose lengths etc. They also provide certificates for the off cuts if it is an engineer spec project.
Don’t get me wrong - but when our $ was close to par - it was amazing.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
One of the appealing things about McMaster is their crazy range of products and fast shipping.
In BC for under $150 I can register a business and get a BN. I might do it just to be legitimate in their eyes.

About $175 in AB, but it also involves a HST/GST account and a CRA business number. Not sure I would want to get involved with all that nonsense.

https://incorporationpro.ca/product/sole-proprietorship

Last edited:

Crankit

I used to haul M-C packages every day when I was with Purolator, always next day air. Those and Sandvic were good money makers...sadly I didn't know any better so any carbide inserts that would spill out of the packages went straight out the back door at the end of the day

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
About $175 in AB, but it also involves a HST/GST account and a CRA business number. Not sure I would want to get involved with all that nonsense.

https://incorporationpro.ca/product/sole-proprietorship

Do you need the gst/hst #? I registered a sole proprietorship with just a trade name in AB without that....

Now, I can’t do any “services” for revenue and collect gst, but I should be able to order parts no? See the section on trade name below

https://www.alberta.ca/register-business-name.aspx#toc-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you need the gst/hst #? I registered a sole proprietorship with just a trade name in AB without that....

Now, I can’t do any “services” for revenue and collect gst, but I should be able to order parts no? See the section on trade name below

https://www.alberta.ca/register-business-name.aspx#toc-1

As I understand it the HST/GST account and CRA business number is generated when you register a sole proprietorship. It's part of the registration process.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
MAybe that’s changed, here is what I found

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-a.../gst-hst-businesses/when-register-charge.html

I’d call Alberta registries. I registered my TN in 1997, updated my address in 2014 and reported income on my personal taxes for years in the early 2000s —- no gst number, but this is because I was < 30k

Those online services may just bundle the registration

I placed an order with McMC this morning to test out the process..... so far no rejection (day ain’t over though [emoji3])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historicalarms

Ultra Member
it might have changed in Ab. since I was a Proprietorship in the province but back then (mid 80's -into early 2000's) a GST certification wasn't required until you reached a certain monetary income threshold. I easily reached whatever it was at the time but don't remember the exact threshold.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Again I am quasi-guessing here but...
- You can have a BN with no GST#. For example if you have an 'employee' like a caregiver, that means payroll, deductions etc. CRA links their income to you, the employer.
- The 30K sounds familiar. You would still have a BN but maybe <30K is their threshold where GST registration isn't required but >30K you need to have it. Assume 30K this means gross revenue?
- You can search registered BN's but I'm not sure if that's free/online or at some cost through Registries.

But I think where this is getting de-railed is MCMC may or may not use this specific info as an automated yes/no criteria. If they Googled the company name & found it, probably home free. If not then I think a conversation would ensue & onus would be on you to provide satisfactory documentation? Now whether the GST number is some kind of flag come shipping (customs form) time is another question. Good luck Kevin & Dave. My sense is if you got set up successfully, then run with it. Maybe give it an occasional workout so it stays in healthy standing (some of us can help you in that regard LOL).

Last edited:

Crankit

Again I am quasi-guessing here but...
- You can have a BN with no GST#. For example if you have an 'employee' like a caregiver, that means payroll, deductions etc. CRA links their income to you, the employer.
- The 30K sounds familiar. You would still have a BN but maybe <30K is their threshold where GST registration isn't required but >30K you need to have it. Assume 30K this means gross revenue?
- You can search registered BN's but I'm not sure if that's free/online or at some cost through Registries.

But I think where this is getting de-railed is MCMC specifically may or may not use this specific info as an automated yes/no criteria. If they Googled the company name & found it, probably home free. If not then I think a conversation would ensue & onus would be on you to provide satisfactory documentation? Now whether the GST number is some kind of flag come shipping (customs form) time is another question. Good luck Kevin & Dave. My sense is if you got set up successfully, then run with it. Maybe give it an occasional workout so it stays in healthy standing (some of us can help you in that regard LOL).

You are correct, >30G gross you have to have a GST number, under it's optional but you won't be able to apply any GST credits for any purchases. I just restarted my GST number last week to help out at Purolator to deal with the insane overload they have, I always had my BN attached to my file. If I could have, I wouldn't opened up my GST again but I needed it for doing the transportation part of the contract with them. I can say that in years past not once did I ever deliver M-C to a residential addy. Possible...yes I suppose, just never saw it.

Cheers

Wayne

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Quick update.

1. Placed an order yesterday for ~250 USD. Used my 'trade-name', my rural address (no PO box) and entered my Amex card. I chose 'ground shipping'. Shipping not calculated. After I submitted -- I awaited the dreaded 'no can sell to u' email.
2. Received email 5 minutes after submitting confirming the order (no indication of total charge)
3. Received email today with 'receipt'. Shipping was 41 USD (purolator-air). GST added to order.

Additional notes:
I noticed on the website on the 'contact us' page that they have several offices (Los Angeles, Chicago, Cleveland.....). On my order confirmation, and order receipt it has the cle_sales@.... as the email address, and the phone number for the cleveland office. At no time did I get to 'choose' which office, not sure if this plays a role?

No tracking number provided -- I'll update once I know more including whether Purolator can actually find my acreage this time. So far, so good.

BTW - I ordered a LH 1-5 ACME tap, and some LH 1-5 ACME rod.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@kevin.decelles : it will go through. Once the order is shipped, you will get an updated email. Then, beside “Purolator air” you will get a tracking number - see my post #37 above.. My order was processed by their Cleveland office. If Purolator does their part, you will get the package before the weekend.