Mayers Bros. 50# power hammer, $5500, Battleford SK

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

80d20727-4e3c-4e47-b234-5f395b94c702

Ironman

Ultra Member
Man I'd give my left nut to be 35 again.
Me too. The best time of my life. Strong as a bull and ready to rock.
There was an 83 year old Russian woman lived across the street from us, born in Brazil, and she outlived 4 husbands. And one day she says, "How old you?" I puffed up and said, "I'm 35" She says, "Huh, 3/4 of a man..." I should have left well enough alone.....but I said "What the heck, do you mean by that?"
So she says, "When you 35 you strong like bull, not so smart. When you 40, not so strong, but smarter, then full man."

trevj

Ultra Member
A word of caution, it appears that one of the toggle arms has been broken and judging by the crazy angle on the top die, the dies are most likely worn out.
Good eye on the weld repair of the toggle.

Sorta need eyes on, or at least, better pictures, to tell if the dies or their mounts are boogered. That top die does look like it's a bit weird, but it may have been someones idea of a perfect draw die... Dunno.

A fella could do worse than spend a bunch of time educating hisself on the finer details, The Sudemeier (spelling?) book is pretty good, and there is a lot of knowledge out there on the interwebs, some of it even accurate! :)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A word of caution, it appears that one of the toggle arms has been broken and judging by the crazy angle on the top die, the dies are most likely worn out.
Ah! a discerning eye! I didn't notice, so it '"looked good to me" shows what a rookie I am about hand forging!

Crosche

Super User
Good eye on the weld repair of the toggle.

Sorta need eyes on, or at least, better pictures, to tell if the dies or their mounts are boogered. That top die does look like it's a bit weird, but it may have been someones idea of a perfect draw die... Dunno.

A fella could do worse than spend a bunch of time educating hisself on the finer details, The Sudemeier (spelling?) book is pretty good, and there is a lot of knowledge out there on the interwebs, some of it even accurate! :)
The top die on my Little Giant had the same angle ground on it. I was told that the dies were modified like that to sharpen plow shares. According to the original specs, the dies can only wear down 20% of their height.
Mine were we'll under that and I couldn't get the hammer timed properly until I made new ones.
The only other concern I would have is the condition of the babbitt bearings. Repouring those is big job.

trevj

Ultra Member
The top die on my Little Giant had the same angle ground on it. I was told that the dies were modified like that to sharpen plow shares. According to the original specs, the dies can only wear down 20% of their height.
Mine were we'll under that and I couldn't get the hammer timed properly until I made new ones.
The only other concern I would have is the condition of the babbitt bearings. Repouring those is big job.
Based on some of the butchery I have seen done to old power hammers, the babbit scares me far less than the pin holes in the hammer toggle links.

Dies can be got as replacement parts or made, if one has the capabilities in house. Seems to me that there are far fewer folks out there capable of doing a decent weld up of badly worn holes, and subsequently placing useable holes and pins, back in their proper location.

Been a while since I poked through my copy of Sid Suedemeier's (I checked the spelling! LOL!) book, but he laid out some pretty good repairs for adapting to when the dies ate their way into either the hammer or anvil.

FWIW, I have a Jardine, a license built clone of the 25 pound Little Giant, that was produced in Winnipeg. A gift from a dying friend, some years back. It came with some new dies, a new spare spring, and a few other spares, but I do need to build a grenade screen for it and mount up the motor I have sourced for it as well.

Crosche

Super User
Based on some of the butchery I have seen done to old power hammers, the babbit scares me far less than the pin holes in the hammer toggle links.

Dies can be got as replacement parts or made, if one has the capabilities in house. Seems to me that there are far fewer folks out there capable of doing a decent weld up of badly worn holes, and subsequently placing useable holes and pins, back in their proper location.

Been a while since I poked through my copy of Sid Suedemeier's (I checked the spelling! LOL!) book, but he laid out some pretty good repairs for adapting to when the dies ate their way into either the hammer or anvil.

FWIW, I have a Jardine, a license built clone of the 25 pound Little Giant, that was produced in Winnipeg. A gift from a dying friend, some years back. It came with some new dies, a new spare spring, and a few other spares, but I do need to build a grenade screen for it and mount up the motor I have sourced for it as well.
Cool! I have a Jardine as well. Had to replace everything from the pitman arm down.