• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Max Velocity and Acceleration - or how not to beat your ballscrews to death?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
My past CNC conversions used stepper motors so were inherently slow.

My latest conversion (8x30 Knee mill) with DFU2005 and DFU1605 ballscrews uses 750W ac servos, These are a world different in terms of torque at speed and I can move the table near silently (compared to steppers) and fast, test run at 100IPM is no problem.

I would imagine the forces at the ballscrews are not trivial. So my question is if I want longevity what are good limits to place on acceleration and velocity?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would imagine you only need to worry about acceleration. What are the specs for the motors? That's where I would start.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I would imagine you only need to worry about acceleration. What are the specs for the motors? That's where I would start.
The motors are quite potent 7.2/2.39Nm, with a really wide torque curve so they can easily move the 8x30 table at > 100IPM and land within a couple of tenths.

I don't have any experience with ballscrew longevity when operating at 20x max human capability;-)

Attachments

• T6M80-750H2A3-M17S.pdf
    182.4 KB · Views: 1

trevj

Ultra Member
I would bet that somewhere in either the software running the show, or in the drivers themselves, there is the ability to select a maximum acceleration rate, or it may be tied in with setting the maximum current limits to be considered acceptable to the control.