• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Material Interactions, Application and Catastrophic Results

I think I largely lack common sense.

I think I know what the risks are, but it seems all my good experience is largely based on bad experience. And the more I learn the more unique and unanticipated the scenarios seem to be.

Perhaps too much “ready, fire, aim”…
This falls under... been there, done that, no way in hell doing that again.

Hopefully lucky enough to survive, smart enough to learn from it.

I guess the fact that by the end of August I am going for a 6 week expedition to Nepal where I try to climb Manaslu solo without oxygen 8165m means I am a bit crazy ;)

It is all about risk management. Any risk that can be managed away is managed away. I.e. I am not climbing say naked (was attempted). I will also not climb when avalanche conditions are "certain avalanche" - also was done. I will not climb when winds are over 100 km/h etc.

I may not have the best gear in the world - and I do cut some corners - but I know the system I have worked in the past and I do have backups.

In case of this sub, they cut corners at every possible area. They were purely negligent. In canyoneering and other sports I led in US we had "death" wavers. It was necessary. But we knew that these will not protect if we do something plain stupid.

For example, if we check the weather and weather services says perfect weather, no chance of any rain or even touch of a storm we did our due diligence. If there is totally unexpected storm, a bit far away, that still in canyon catchment and someone dies - we can point to a waver - no one knew super freak event will happen. We did standard checks. Same with an event where there is a dam and you call them and ask, will there be any release of water. If they have release due to an accident and someone dies - waver can be used. What happened on that sub was similar to simply never checking the weather. Totally suicidal. It was only a matter of time. Eventually your luck runs out - there is a strong thunderstorm and most people or all in your team end up dead.

The company is done for. And I would not be shocked if they sued the owner personally and priced through corporate veil.

Incidentally deep see diving is quite safe. The actual *certified* old submersible this company purchased second hand has like 1300 dives on the clock - no accidents. Key words here - certified and not build by them ;) There are many other submersibles out there - all safe, certified etc. The capsule made out of carbon fiber that was to go to challenger deep was designed for a SINGLE dive. Yep, go once, recycle.

This is from bloody 1964. In service since 1964. Test depth of 6500m.

Yeah, that is almost 60 years of service. Every few years total overhaul & inspection. They did not make junk in the 60s, like my lathe - good stuff.
Very well put!!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am going for a 6 week expedition to Nepal where I try to climb Manaslu solo without oxygen 8165m

Wow. Best of luck!

1687673924570.png