• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Marking out on mild steel with mill scale- good markers?

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
What’s a good marker to use on steel with mill scale? For typical fabrication accuracy

I have a soapstone pen, but the lines rub off easily.
Sharpie pens are hard to see unless there’s lots of light.
Dykem layout fluid with a scribed line is hard to see when I add cutting oil. I do love the smell though.
The tips of White correction fluid pens doesn’t appreciate being dragged across mill scale.

I found these products:
Pica Water jet resistant deep hole marker
Markel Silver Streak Pro
Super Met-Al white paint pen

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I use a red sharpie, and also have one of the markal silver pens. Sometimes use soapstone, and black sharpie as well.

Bandit

Super User
Soap stone on plate to be cut. Any oil on the plate or on the soap stone seems to make a fainter line. Some soap stone seems a bit softer, seems to blow away easier when using torch. Lighting can make a difference. Not many markers like mill scale. Don't know a garenteed marker for all times and places.

Six O Two

(Marco)

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I use a sharpie, often coloured, does the job...I just take into account the line thickness when I'm marking and know to cut either on the edge of the line or split the line or whatever. This is if you need better than say 1/8" accuracy with your cuts, since sharpie lines are thick.

Otherwise, if I need more accuracy I usually use a carbide scribe.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I don't mark anything when saw cutting/chop sawing/shearing

You should be measuring from the blade, if you have a line that's really only a sanity check, after all it's not a 2.50$ 2x4, mistakes are expensive

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

You should be measuring from the blade, if you have a line that's really only a sanity check, after all it's not a 2.50$ 2x4, mistakes are expensive

It's no wonder I can't weld. The sphincter on my wallet is too tight......

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

Uh, not exactly. You can put a mark exactly where the cut needs to be made (at least to visible accuracy) and then align the blade to the mark. Trying to measure from the blade on anything handheld or where the blade moves (chop saw, horizontal bandsaw, etc.) you cannot accurately measure off the blade anyway. About the only thing you can measure from blade is where the blade is fixed and you measure to a fence. At best, saw cuts aren't going to get beyond say 1/32nd of an inch accuracy anyway. If you need more accurate than that, you're doing a rough cut and then setting it up on the milling machine or lathe or whatever.