• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Making my gantry crane mobile.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I will be moving this Princess Auto gantry between my shop and a friends so I needed a way to make it relatively easy. I have a home built folding motorcycle trailer that has a 8' X 4' deck. The footprint of the crane is 47" X 100" so my trailer is good for width but about 4" too short in length (story of my life). I made up a couple of bolt on pocket extensions that the wheels of the crane can drop into on the rear of the trailer. I gave it a test load today and lifted one end at a time onto the trailer with my engine crane. It only took about 10 minutes to load so this will work well. I'm going to add a 1.5" tall piece across the back of the pocket to capture the wheels so once it is set in place the crane can't roll off by accident. I'm still working on tie down solutions but I'm pretty pleased with how little work it took to modify my existing trailer to do this job. When not in use the extension pockets are easy to take off by removing two 3/4" nuts on each one.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yes, for sure it will have at least 4 ratcheting cargo straps holding it in place. Putting backs on the pocket is only to keep it in place while securing it with straps. Here are the finished pockets.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How about J bolts through the trailer deck capturing the bottom horizontal outrigger members or wheels, then you don't have to putz with straps?

Or load binders.

Or turnbuckles.

Last edited: