• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Making a bevel on a screw that has been shortened.

Tips/Techniques

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'd have to get a belt sander before I could use his approach. But Rick Sparber has some good ideas.

Last edited:

Ironman

Ultra Member
I don't know why the forum software blocked your post John. I approved it.

Regarding the content, I prefer my own method. It's easy and has never failed me.

Post in thread 'Threaded screw cutter' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/threaded-screw-cutter.6736/post-100276

Lately I've been making these tools with two threaded holes for each size in the plate - one course and one fine.
If you have a second plate with an unthreaded hole, pivoting off a hinge bolt, you can thread the bolt through both of them and pivot the plate and it will snip off the bolt you want to cut.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I had to shorten a bunch of 1/4" screws and made a jig for the lathe.

In a piece of 3/4 round bar I drill and tapped the thread in the bottom then using an EM I opened up the hole to accommodate the screw head and bottomed out leaving the thread to be cut off. Locked the screw in place with a jam nut, put it in a collet, cut off the excess and beveled the end.

1703270936107.jpeg 1703271005916.jpeg

The other method I've used to lock the screw is to thread the big hole and screw in a bolt to lock the screw in place. This way lets you cut the screw even shorter if needed.

I've used these methods to cut down 4-40 screws as well.

Upnorth

I have to put bevels on shortened screws fairly regularly. If they are too short to hold I just put them on the end of a matching screwdriver and hold them in place with my fingers. Then I grind the bevel using my fingers to hold them in place while turning the screwdriver. The longer you have been working as a mechanic the longer you will be able to grind the screw before you curse and drop it. When it cools off, proceed with the grinding. I use either a regular grinder of a belt sander depending on what is available or closer. Make sure you put your fingers where they can't be rotated into the grinder.