Tips/Techniques Making a bevel on a screw that has been shortened.

Tips/Techniques

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'd have to get a belt sander before I could use his approach. But Rick Sparber has some good ideas.

Last edited:

Ironman

Ultra Member
I don't know why the forum software blocked your post John. I approved it.

Regarding the content, I prefer my own method. It's easy and has never failed me.

Post in thread 'Threaded screw cutter' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/threaded-screw-cutter.6736/post-100276

Lately I've been making these tools with two threaded holes for each size in the plate - one course and one fine.
If you have a second plate with an unthreaded hole, pivoting off a hinge bolt, you can thread the bolt through both of them and pivot the plate and it will snip off the bolt you want to cut.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I had to shorten a bunch of 1/4" screws and made a jig for the lathe.

In a piece of 3/4 round bar I drill and tapped the thread in the bottom then using an EM I opened up the hole to accommodate the screw head and bottomed out leaving the thread to be cut off. Locked the screw in place with a jam nut, put it in a collet, cut off the excess and beveled the end.

1703270936107.jpeg 1703271005916.jpeg

The other method I've used to lock the screw is to thread the big hole and screw in a bolt to lock the screw in place. This way lets you cut the screw even shorter if needed.

I've used these methods to cut down 4-40 screws as well.

Upnorth

I have to put bevels on shortened screws fairly regularly. If they are too short to hold I just put them on the end of a matching screwdriver and hold them in place with my fingers. Then I grind the bevel using my fingers to hold them in place while turning the screwdriver. The longer you have been working as a mechanic the longer you will be able to grind the screw before you curse and drop it. When it cools off, proceed with the grinding. I use either a regular grinder of a belt sander depending on what is available or closer. Make sure you put your fingers where they can't be rotated into the grinder.