• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Product Made in USA Nicholson Files

Product

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I just picked up a handful of nicholson files from Quest Industrial in Calgary (Whom I love, the staff there are so helpful and friendly). They were 12-15$ a piece, and I'm not expecting too much out of them as I've read all new nicholson files are now the poor quality, economic option since outsourcing their production, but I really need them for a weekend project. After purchasing however, I realized 3 of the 5 files are stamped with a made in usa on the tang. Is it possible these are NOS and might actually be good?? Only time will tell LOL.

As an aside, I was pleasantly surprised to discover Quest has lathe files as a regularly stocked item (45 degree cutting angle, no teeth on sides of file (safety edges)).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Is it possible these are NOS and might actually be good?? Only time will tell LOL.

Wanting to know what you find......

I call those sideless files "lathe files". I know there is prolly more to it than that, but in my ignorance, that's what I call em. Love to know enough more to use the name correctly.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pillar files fo not have teeth on their edges. They are parrallel in width, slimmer than standard files. Designed more for delicate work. Generally swiss pattern double cut in 00, 0, 1, 2, 4, 6. I think 4", 6", 8" in length, and in several widths. And good ones, Nicholson, or Grobet are expensive.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lathe file has single row teeth at a 45°angle, and much larger. Lathe file shears the metal when filing on the lathe producing a better finish.

Attachments

• 20230429_082224.jpg
    20230429_082224.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230429_082558.jpg
    20230429_082558.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 10

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So both lathe and pillar have smooth sides, but lathe is bigger and only has single 45 degree blades while pillar is smaller and cross hatched?

Edit - @trlvn - I didn't see your chart till after I posted..... I like cheat sheets. Looking now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How about a 1 page cheat sheet? I downloaded this from KMS a couple of years ago.

Wow Craig! That's a very cool chart. I would imagine that some will argue the details, but it sure meets my needs for now!

Tecnico

(Dave)
Your loss

@gerritv I'm not sure by your words of the tone you intend to convey however I do not see it as my loss at all.

If any company does not want to compete in the market by posting their prices they lose the opportunity to sell to me.

It also means I will not be subject to their unsolicited marketing communications which is positive for me.

Respectfully,

D :cool:

gerritv

Gerrit
They send me 0 emails unless I order from them. Like BDI Express, you only need to provide an email address, I use a specific one for some vendors to see if I get unsolicited emails, no big deal to do. Certainly better than buying from the US.