• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Machining knuckles for the T-Bone

Guitar William

Well-Known Member
Time well spent on th CNC. Machined these knuckle blanks for the T-Bone Tremolo.

Machined from 7075 Aircraft aluminum.

The hex pocket will hold the M6 locking nut for easy of control arm tightening.
The spring fits snug in the stepped pad, keeping things from moving around.
A barrel bolt will keep things perfectly aligned. Throw in a 1mm brass washer and some lube and we have the makings of a stellar system.

These take 12 operations to complete before buffing.


800642760_3069478320071695_5704966214664084643_n.jpg
817059286_3069478326738361_1673412377499491574_n.jpg
Screenshot 2026-09-21 at 7.29.29 AM.png
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-09-21 at 7.29.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-21 at 7.29.29 AM.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 5
Nice work. What CNC are you running?
Thanks Dave,

I have the SienciLabs Longmill MK1 30x30 with Makita router. It takes awhile since speeds are slower but it does the job.
Eventually I'll upgrade to the AltMill for serious metal machining.

Cheers,
William
 
A small update as I move forward with my tremolo.
I am doing these in batches of 5, 2 orders and a couple more in the wings.

A press fit locking nut makes adjustments easy. a barrel bolt keeps everything inline. 7075 High Strength Aircraft aluminum hold the loads at bay.
The stepped pad holds the 0.85" spring snug and in place.
Top it off with a brass shim to make for a smooth feel in the Angel Arm.

Still needs final sanding and polishing.

Unknown-7.jpg
Unknown-6.jpg
Unknown-5.jpg
Unknown-4.jpg
 
Maching the underside of the T-Bone required a special support block. Thanks to 3D printers I have a nifty method to clamp down the part for machining the dovetail slot for mounting.
The part snaps ion nice and snug.

This will sit nicely on my cross feed table using a bar clamp across the width.
 

Attachments

  • Unknown-9.jpg
    Unknown-9.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Unknown-10.jpg
    Unknown-10.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Unknown-11.jpg
    Unknown-11.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1
My sheet of 7075 cast aluminum arrived so now it's CNC time.
This is a long process being that I use a 2mm & 1mm end mill.
These will be getting Mother of Pearl inlays while the others will be a V-Groove design.
 

Attachments

  • Unknown-12.jpg
    Unknown-12.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
Do you mean wrought (rolled/extruded) bar stock like 7075-T6? I havent seen 7075 in cast.

But if you ever need well priced cuts of cast MIC-6 which is ground, for jig plates or whatever, this place is awesome. Its USA based so have to do the drop ship dance.
Hi Peter,

Thanks, Ill check them out.

I got it from McCaster Carr: see Row #8

Tolerance RatingStandard
Thickness0.190"
Thickness Tolerance-0.007" to 0.007"
Width6"
Width Tolerance-1/4" to 1/4"
Length12"
Length Tolerance-1/4" to 1/4"
FabricationCast
Temper DesignationT6
Specifications MetASTM B209, SAE AMS-QQ-A-250/12
AppearancePlain
Certificate FormDigital
Certificate TypeMaterial Certificate with Traceable Lot Number
Elongation11%
Flatness ToleranceNot Rated
HardnessBrinell 150
Hardness RatingMedium
Heat TreatableYes
Heat TreatmentHardened
Material7075 Aluminum
 
I got it from McCaster Carr: see Row #8

Huh. Well I pursued with The Great Guesser (AI), here is what it says.

1790886823357.png

BTW the MIC-6 plate I referenced really is 'cast' cast, but its nowhere near as strong as typical wrought bars. Just wanted to make that clarification - not a substitute for your application, just another uuseful material. Usually its brutally expensive, but these offcuts make it kinder on the wallet

1790886955871.png
 
Huh. Well I pursued with The Great Guesser (AI), here is what it says.

View attachment 87620

BTW the MIC-6 plate I referenced really is 'cast' cast, but its nowhere near as strong as typical wrought bars. Just wanted to make that clarification - not a substitute for your application, just another uuseful material. Usually its brutally expensive, but these offcuts make it kinder on the wallet

View attachment 87621
Thank you for the info Peter, its always nice to have options.
 
Back
Top