Machines I lucked into...

trlvn

Ultra Member
So, I don't know much about metal presses*. Your haul included a 5 ton and 22 ton, right? Did the former owner stamp out small runs of parts? Are we talking items like small cup washers?

I guess I thought the customer would be the one to procure the dies for small custom stamping runs. But it sounds like the people in contact with you expect it to come with dies for standard parts? Also, I would have thought that stamping dies would have a finite life. After X parts they'd be thrown away or rebuilt?

Craig in Oakville
* When I was in public accounting in the 1980's, our office had a client that provided stamped metal products to the automotive industry (mostly). Multiple times per year, an operator would have fingers or a whole hand removed despite the guarding and sensors. Not infrequently because they were drunk or high (or both) on the job. Not a great place.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Indeed my thinking was the same, that any dies would be very specific to a job.
In fact the 5 ton press still has a die in place. It looks to punch out an “L” shaped hole about 3.8” wide and maybe 1.5” long. What use that would have outside its original use is marginal I would think.
The 22 ton press has an interesting safety feature; a light curtain similar to an elevator door. If the beam is broken the machine will not operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s a fair size unfortunately I’m trying to figure where to Put the drill press after putting in shelf unit for material. I do have the kiln downstairs in the basement though.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well folks the plot thickens. Talked to the landlord of the building today. Seems the machines had to be gone by Nov. 15. So the seller had basically run out of good will.
So unless the press and G&L sell for Friday they will be scrapped.
Sad to see them go but I'm a bit jammed now.

Brent H

Ultra Member
bummer David but goo thing you got the intel from the land lord and not show up to things gone. Take anything you can off the old machines before they go .......bummer

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
bummer David but goo thing you got the intel from the land lord and not show up to things gone. Take anything you can off the old machines before they go .......bummer

I’ll pull the chuck off for sure.
Selling that should have me net zero or maybe a small profit.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Update: I have a buyer for the G&L. Told him he has to be there or it will be scrapped.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The problem is *you are on the island* - also its end of the year - so auction houses may have just run out of auctions this year and auctions will re-start by February - usually there are very few auctions in January if any. There is usually only ONE auction for many houses this year in Alberta.

This may be why it was such a deal - all local auction houses closed for the year already and do not want to store items for free for few months.

If you were NOT on the island things would be much easier for you. To transport these items OFF the island or store them would cost $$$.

Also I bet many auction houses you called deal with tiny items like consumer electronics not a large machine - they have no forklifts etc. or even outside yard. If you were in say Calgary I could off load it today for 25% sellers fee or tomorrow for even less (I know at least two places that would take it without any issues).

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I called all the big names in Vancouver, Coast Machinery, Lenmark, Bell, Modern.
I didn't call any aution house that deal in estates etc. I only called auction houses that dealt in equipment such as Ritchie Bros, Able Auctions. We don't have the industrial base that AB has.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Ritchie Bros have auctions now so next ones will be in February - depending on location where you called - here they have auctions in Grand Prairie, Lethbridge and Edmonton.

You would need to move machinery out of island and say drive to Calgary area. Not sure how much machinery there is left to deal with & what is appraisal value for this to make sense.

For example, Clubbid will take it today. They are in High River. Their auction starts this Friday so they are still open for consignment for over a week or so.

I don't know auction scene in BC so I cannot exactly comment on it - each auction place is different, some sell items for crazy money - some are great to buy, some sell big lots you can part out and sell on Kijiji. lots of choices.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Oh one more thing, regarding scrapping machines, this may NOT be so easy. Scrapyards do not like oil and contamination in their scrap - you may run into issues here.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well any of those options is not in my remit at the moment. Taking them off island is not an option due to transport costs.
The previous owner used up any and all goodwill with the landlord and now I'm dealing with the aftermath.
It will get sorted out.

SimonM

How heavy is the surface grinder? I could be interested in an island trip if you are willing to share your good luck and give it away...

francist

Super User
Dang, I wish I could help you out but that stuff is just too big to throw in the back of my little Toyota and hang a tarp over it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dang, I wish I could help you out but that stuff is just too big to throw in the back of my little Toyota and hang a tarp over it.

The fellow in Vancouver asked if it would fit in his pickup.
“Technically yes, but you won’t be driving anywhere with it.
[emoji1787]