• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Machines for sale - Vancouver Island

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m a member of a local hobby machinist mailing list and got this email today. If anyone is interested let me know and I’ll make the connection.

"Hello, everyone. I am offering my father's tools for sale as a package to group members. He has now moved into a care facility and is ready to pass these on to someone who appreciates their potential. His passion was model steam engines, but he could apply his skill in many ways with these tools. 3 lathes with accessories are included. Package price is $4500.00
1. Myford Super 7 110V
2. Unimat DB 200 Mini-lathe with footswitches
3. Marshall Peerless 8mm watchmakers/jewellers lathe with collets
The lathe's are located in Cedar (south Nanaimo) and I am happy to meet a serious buyer for a cash only sale. I will only advertise to a wider audience if necessary. More pictures available on request.”

I grew up in Cedar, it's where I was first exposed to the madness that brings us all together here. Far fewer people back then, was a great place to be back in the day. My parents are still living on the Cedar/North Oyster border.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
They have been advertised on FaceBook and UsedVictoria for a while now.
I wonder if the family isn't confident they can separate the accessories and tooling that belong to each of the three lathes? Buying them as a group would more-or-less guarantee that all the available parts were included.
'The Island' isn't a big market to begin with. Seeking a buyer who wants all those three lathes, and has $4500 (seller states price is 'firm') in play money, narrows the field a lot.
Is a Myford Super 7 worth $4500?

They have been advertised on FaceBook and UsedVictoria for a while now.
I wonder if the family isn't confident they can separate the accessories and tooling that belong to each of the three lathes? Buying them as a group would more-or-less guarantee that all the available parts were included.
'The Island' isn't a big market to begin with. Seeking a buyer who wants all those three lathes, and has $4500 (seller states price is 'firm') in play money, narrows the field a lot.
Is a Myford Super 7 worth $4500?
If all you want is the MyFord, seperate it and it's accessories and anything that can possibly be used with it, clean up and likewise seperate the other two, sell them off........ Is a MyFord super seven worth +/-$1500 with a little bit of time and effort? Seems like a reasonable price even in Ontario.......

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
. Is a MyFord super seven worth +/-$1500 with a little bit of time and effort?
??? Myford Super 7 @ $1500 - sure....but this one is $4500 - (whatever you can sell a Unimat and a jewellers lathe for on Vancouver Island).... Are either of the smaller machines worth more than $750? Or is that what you meant - $3K for the Myford, $1500 for the other two machines? Myfords go for a premium, I know.

Felis

Lol
I kindly asked this seller if he would be willing to sell some or any of the myford tooling / attachments separately.
I return, I received a curt, rude reply. How nice…..

Without reservation, the seller received an appropriate reply from yours truly.

Yep, asshats abound, even in the machinery world. To that end, he will not see a dime from me.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
"Reading between the lines" of the ad copy, I got that feeling. "Make an appointment" "Price firm" blah, blah.... I understand refusing to sell off accessories, etc...but no need to be impolite.
Unfortuantely, there is so much demand for machines 'out here' that even 'unrealistic' prices (and poor behaviour) seem to be rewarded.

??? Myford Super 7 @ $1500 - sure....but this one is $4500 - (whatever you can sell a Unimat and a jewellers lathe for on Vancouver Island).... Are either of the smaller machines worth more than $750? Or is that what you meant - $3K for the Myford, $1500 for the other two machines? Myfords go for a premium, I know.
That one isn't $4500 the three of them are. I suspect that for the right buyer, there's probably a bunch of measuring tools, leftover stock, maybe even an incomplete model or something.
By the time you sell off what you don't want for yourself you are getting down to the 1500-2500 range for the MyFord.
I can understand the sellers lack of desire to deal with a multitude of people who want to grind you down over every little bit. There might not be a lot of people with $4500 in play money, but they are out there, and there's a good chance that whoever comes along will be a happy buyer. I know that when the time comes to pass my shop along, the right buyer is going to be grinning from ear to ear. Those that just want my steady rest or whatever will probably just hate me.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
As I said, the Myford would cost $4500 minus whatever you can sell a Unimat and a jewellers lathe for on Vancouver Island. Perhaps those small lathes are in high demand and worth a lot? $1000-$1500 each for a Unimat and a jewellers lathe seem like a lot to me.
From the tone of the ad copy, I wouldn't count on a lot of 'extras' being included, but who knows? Make an appointment, etc...
If it was really a "smokin deal" I think it would be all sold by now. but perhaps the right buyer just hasn't heard about it yet.
When the right time comes to sell my tools, I hope I'm aware enough to do it myself. It can be a burden for relatives.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know that when the time comes to pass my shop along, the right buyer is going to be grinning from ear to ear. Those that just want my steady rest or whatever will probably just hate me.

When the right time comes to sell my tools, I hope I'm aware enough to do it myself. It can be a burden for relatives.

I have told my bride to give my tools to my kids and my friends. Anything left after that can be auctioned off. She might get ripped off, but an auctioneer will take all the hassle out of it for her.

She never does what I want now, so I fully expect that she won't do it when I'm dead either.

As I said, the Myford would cost $4500 minus whatever you can sell a Unimat and a jewellers lathe for on Vancouver Island. Perhaps those small lathes are in high demand and worth a lot? $1000-$1500 each for a Unimat and a jewellers lathe seem like a lot to me.
From the tone of the ad copy, I wouldn't count on a lot of 'extras' being included, but who knows? Make an appointment, etc...
If it was really a "smokin deal" I think it would be all sold by now. but perhaps the right buyer just hasn't heard about it yet.
I don't think I have ever seen one in person, but the unimats have a pretty good following, and given the choice between a well tooled unimat for 1200 or a 7x12 offshore for 500-750, I would take the unimat...... Likewise for the jewelers lathe and collets.
I have no dog in this hunt, but will be helping sell or disperse my dad's wood shop and tools in the next year or so, and I know with dad if he doesn't like the attitude, they'll never have enough money, and the smiling young fella standing next to him will be gifted whatever it was just to make a point.
Most of us old farts are more interested in seeing our life's joy going to someone who impresses us, more than getting all our money back. Those tools have already made us happy, now we just want to see them in the right hands.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I don't think I have ever seen one in person, but the unimats have a pretty good following, and given the choice between a well tooled unimat for 1200 or a 7x12 offshore for 500-750, I would take the unimat...... Likewise for the jewelers lathe and collets.
I have no dog in this hunt, but will be helping sell or disperse my dad's wood shop and tools in the next year or so, and I know with dad if he doesn't like the attitude, they'll never have enough money, and the smiling young fella standing next to him will be gifted whatever it was just to make a point.
Most of us old farts are more interested in seeing our life's joy going to someone who impresses us, more than getting all our money back. Those tools have already made us happy, now we just want to see them in the right hands.

My first lathe was a DB200, like the one for sale. Got it around 12 or 13 and started working for Dad summers in the shipping departmet (I think it was for a quarter an hour, maybe 50 cents, mid '70's....I my family at least there were no child labour laws :) ) and bought all the accessories with my lucrative income. Had a lot of fun with it. They are good if your main hobby is say model railroading or model ships and it just sees occasional use. They make a poor substitute for a watchmakers lathe if that's your interest (why does everyone call it a jewellers lathe, jewellers don't use lathes?) because they don't take 8mm collets (although there was a spindle available that did, think its quite rare) and arguably there's too much run out vs a typical watchmakers lathe. Milling is a joke, especially with the round bar ways, but some folks in the internet have proved its not impossible.

I have a U3 which is about the same size but has V ways and its a nice little machine. Don't really need it with all the other lathes, mostly its nostalgia. But....if you've got one larger lathe, a little db200 or UI3 can be just the thing when you to dill a hole or turn some 1/8 stock for some small part. In that context definitely worth having.

The really frustrating part is the Z axis feed screw; no way to disengage it and it takes for ever to wind the carriage any distance. It would make you crazy for anything but very occasional use.

I would have thought the Myford would been considered a hot price that condition and well equipped, and out west. But I guess in a small market you can get a big spread between the bid and the ask.

Last edited: