Machinery Handbook

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't have an old one but watch Kijiji and EBay. Also Amazon used books. It pays to know that Amazon originally started as a used book store. They still serve that function.

Jswain

Joe
I have a pdf(maybe you do already) but if you want it I could email it or send it somehow

And also the pocket companion

trevj

Ultra Member
I got most of mine from used book stores in University towns/cities. The odd one (usually a lot older) from auction sales.

For some stupid reason, the schools think that the older editions are all wrong, or something like that, so they insist that the pupils get the latest version only, and the old issues are near worthless.

But honestly (personal opinion) the Machinery's Handbook, was rooted in an age before anyone with a shitty cell phone could look up almost any Spec. on the planet inside a couple minutes for free.

In my opinion, look at what the latest Edition is, and start at around $30 for the previous Edition, and start dropping about $5 per, until you hit around a $5 selling price, at which point they are really worth buying, if only to be able to gift to friends.

Which is to say, I really DO think it worth owning for a few dollars. And, I don't really think there is a benefit to owning the most recent copies, unless you really must for reasons outside your control.

It is a collection of References, not a "How To" book. When the internet did not exist, it was nearly indispensable! But these days, it's just another point of reference, to be cross checked against!

I usually suggest that folks that are starting out, get a (out of date) copy of Technology of machine Tools, by Krar et al (which means he didn't do all the heavy lifting!) for similarly discounted rates as I suggest for the MH.