• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Machineries handbook etc

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have the 25th edition ~7"x5" format. Although its the classic wealth of information, increasingly find it a PITA to look for things to the point I usually go on the internet first. Its small, the font size seems to be shrinking every year even with my proper glasses & the pages are like rice paper. I've noticed used versions can be had pretty cheap.

- Is there a larger format available & if so, how do they define it in the ad?
- I've heard certain versions, maybe past 25 or so are less desirable because they added more fluff (maybe cnc?) but its rather useless outdated info anyways. Any comments on this front?
- is 'Guide' the handbook itself? I though there was also some kind of compendium that corresponded to edition # but maybe I'm mixed up with another text book?

unrelated but I have this book coming which I'm pretty sure I used in school. Hard to wrong for the price.
1708802264391.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
- is 'Guide' the handbook itself?

No. IMHO, the guide is a waste of money. It is certainly not the whole handbook. I bought a copy of the guide well before I joined our forum. Wish I could sell it, but I couldn't do that with a clear conscience. It might end up being a fire log.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a companion book.
I’ll take a picture when I’m home.

gerritv

Gerrit
For imperial you are much better off with the Engineer's Black Book (they make it very difficult to get the metric verson in North America for some reason). Yes there is lots of info in the MH, and yes most of it is irrelevant to our hobby. The small print and zero contrast/colour just makes it even more inaccessible. Nothing stands out on the page.

gerrit

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Before the advent of smartphones and apps, I used it all the time. There's still a lot of information in it that I use, just not as often.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Before the advent of smartphones and apps, I used it all the time. There's still a lot of information in it that I use, just not as often.

Really? I'm gunna have to take another look at mine. Maybe I judged it too quickly and too harshly.....

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Like calculating dimensions for centralizing acme threads; standard taper dimenensions; measuring dovetails; formuals for 3-wire pitch diameters; allowances and tollerances.

Yes, there are apps for most of that. But if I have to use paper and pen to do calculations, I find it easier with a hard copy in front of me instead of the smartphone.

Plus it's all there in one book!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Like calculating dimensions for centralizing acme threads; standard taper dimenensions; measuring dovetails; formuals for 3-wire pitch diameters; allowances and tollerances.

Yes, there are apps for most of that. But if I have to use paper and pen to do calculations, I find it easier with a hard copy in front of me instead of the smartphone.

Plus it's all there in one book!

You sure you are talking about the companion book, and not the handbook?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Do you have the one I posted?

I'm not sure which version of the companion I have. Its buried in my shop and it's possible I even pitched it. I just remember flipping through the pages and thinking I can't believe I actually paid good money for this.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure which version of the companion I have. Its buried in my shop and it's possible I even pitched it. I just remember flipping through the pages and thinking I can't believe I actually paid good money for this.
Interesting. The Companion that I have has so much info that I only bought the full book because it was $10 used.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting. The Companion that I have has so much info that I only bought the full book because it was $10 used.

Interesting indeed. I'll have to see if I can find it and look again. It will be a few days though. I'm flogging a municipal highway issue right now.