• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Machine Machine moving

Machine

Shoprat

Not me. I have now seen 2 rams with the eyebolt section blown out. A real Bridgeport from the 1960s, and and a Chinese clone BP. The one I was told, blew out before the machine left the floor. the other the machine fell about a foot and broke the floor. The clone was for parts, as it was ruined.

Yes, I know that the manual says it can be done. I lift all my machines from their strongest point, and deal with the tipping issues using secondary support straps, or tying to a pallet, etc. On a machine that heavy, even the dovetails are at risk from zippering due to imbalance.
Well I didn’t see a lifting eye, but I’m back tomorrow to pick it up so i will look for interest sake. The present owner states that a few months ago they sold the twin to this machine and merely slung the ram with no issues what so ever. I plan on bringing some wooden blocks to place under the ram to aid in protecting the slings. From what I gather this machine weighs about 3800 lbs, so if you subtract the ram, head and motor weight, I’m guessing your left with about 2/3 of total. Upon inspection of the ram dovetails, there’s little doubt in my mind that they can’t handle 2500 lbs of straight down dead weight. So the plan is overhead sling onto trailer and stand clear! The lathe will be slung by the bed webbing with pinch belting to keep it from rotating and lifted the same way. Wish me luck guys!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On a machine that heavy, even the dovetails are at risk from zippering due to imbalance.

What a great way to describe the risk! I have zero qualms about the pure lifting capability of the ram dove tails, but I also have zero trouble imagining how they could be "zippered" with a shear load. A lot of very big very strong things get broken that way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice..... Both, the load and the trailer, 21,000 lbs capacity lets a guy get a little bit carried away from time to time... I'm restricted to 14,000, you know, to keep me grounded. :p

@Shoprat - Wow, 3 axles! NICE!

My flatbed is a 14,000 pound trailer too, but I had it stickered at 9900 to avoid annual certification. In hind sight, I should have paid the extra for aluminium.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Machine moving......the day the DSG arrived.....

I know, I know..... he's nuts, what is he doing! Odd seeing 5200 lbs of glory perched in the air like that, but it was the vendor's plan and risk (delivery included) and they were experienced millwrights/field work types. Even worse, it arrived on a car trailer.....two runways with cross members every few feet. They had to lift the up like that, edge forward, lift from other side of the cross member etc. Basically two lifts to leap frog each cross member.

DSC_3956-large.JPG

DSC_3941.JPG

DSC_3944-large.JPG
DSC_3959-large.JPG

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Machine moving......the day the DSG arrived.....

I know, I know..... he's nuts, what is doing! Odd seeing 5200 lbs of glory perched in the air like that, but it was the vendor's plan and risk (delivery included) and they were experienced millwrights/field work types. Even worse, it arrived on a car trailer.....two runways with cross members every few feet. They had to lift the up like that, edge forward, lift from other side of the cross member etc. Basically two lifts to leap frog each cross member.

View attachment 34638

View attachment 34639

View attachment 34640
View attachment 34641
that is one ballsy move