• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Machine Machine moving

Machine

Shoprat

Can I get some input on how to sling this machine. We will be using a telehandler to pick up and set on a trailer. But I’m not sure on how to sling it.

Attachments

• 4A282A89-F7D6-4467-8943-BD5A882E1CA7.jpeg
    4A282A89-F7D6-4467-8943-BD5A882E1CA7.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 16C64187-2F6B-4575-AB0E-3D4C4079DA36.jpeg
    16C64187-2F6B-4575-AB0E-3D4C4079DA36.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 55

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Can you just jack it up and fork it ? That would be the simplest thing to do

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Waaaaaaaaaay to top heavy to risk moving from the bottom

Mills and lathes come shipped on a pallet from day 1, flip the head around to drop the CG and you shouldn't have a problem so long as your not driving like a wild man

You'll need a lot of head room and a pretty high overhead door to clear the mast + rigging, so keep that in mind if you do sling it

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
There must be a manual out there for the machine that will give you the lifting info.

All of the above and lower the knee as far as it will go.

Edit - is this the machine from Burnaby?

Bandit

Super User
As the others, invert head, lower table as far possible, move table close to column, centre table length wise. Put inverted head about centered over table. Remove horizontal aurbar supports from ram. NOW, check pivet turret locking bolts? or such, tighten firmly. Make sure ram will not move or pivet. Gently tighten all locks for table and knee. Remove all handles and hand wheels if possible. Put horizontal aurbar supports and handles/ hand wheel in truck before loading mill.
Now load mill onto my trailer parked close to yours.LOL. When think you have unit tied down well, add a couple more ty downs etc. Before moving make sure ram will not move, a strap or 2 tied back to the column just in case. Some where I read about moveing a mill and the ram came out while moving, locks were not holding. Good luck with the move

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That machine looks quite a bit more stout than a bridgeport which is 2500 lbs, this is probably 3-4000lbs? If you can find a copy of the manual, all machinery manuals should have lifting and installation instructions.

This is how bridgeport moves their mills:
1684278469436.png

And they lift it via slings under the ram:
1684278501373.png

However, I don't know if this is advisable on your machine as the dovetails on your ram appear to be about the same size as a bridgeport, and there is likely another 1500 lbs pulling down on them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Familiar with. It?
No, I just remember the ad and your locale.

Will your 9x49 be going on the market? I'm not asking for me but someone else could be interested.

@PaulL - is yours the same machine and do you have a book for it? Did you sling it for the move?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Can I get some input on how to sling this machine. We will be using a telehandler to pick up and set on a trailer. But I’m not sure on how to sling it.

Do what others said about lowering the table and bringing it to the far back. No need to swivel the head. Just replace the straps with 6x6 or 8x8 beams under the front and rear of the ram just like the photo and then lift with a forklift from the front or the rear from under the beams.

1684278501373.png

Might need some 2x4s or 1x4s to get the front and rear spacing right.

Works really well and doesn't require a lot of overhead space. I moved mine several times like that.

Shoprat

No, I just remember the ad and your locale.

Will your 9x49 be going on the market? I'm not asking for me but someone else could be interested.

@PaulL - is yours the same machine and do you have a book for it? Did you sling it for the move?
Not anticipating selling the 9/49. Want to leave it set up with the rotary etc.