• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Machine enamels?

POR15 (epoxy), is quite durable. If exposed to UV it fades a bit over the long term. Available online and IIRC you can order whatever color you like. Read the label for safety precautions.

thats probably a good option for all machine finishing. I'll take a look at that and the Cloverdale Paint epoxy.

Good suggestions folks! Much appreciated.
There is a PPG Refinish product that should work.
ALK-200 is a industrial coating that will cure with excellent adhesion to castings and steel fabrications.
If you cannot find fact sheets on-line, I can Attach the files to a CHMW message.

I am using Sherwin Williams Micropoxy two component tintable primer. Yes, it is expensive but very good. Two layers will work as primer+paint.

I use Rust-Check or Tremclad spraybombs on auto engines and accessories... but VHT on exhaust manifolds and headers (doesn't do great on headers, better to go ceramic). That being said, I do like the Red-International colour I painted my old iron engine block after rebuild a few years back and has held up well in a hot, oily, greasy wet and dirty environment

I went to KMS a couple weeks ago and picked up some silicone plugs for powdercoating there was only one set but apparently they get them in.

POR15 (epoxy), is quite durable.

I've not used it but heard good things about it, seems like a paint that likely won't kill you and is one of toughest.

I've been using PPG line 7 and think its pretty good, but for most machines (except the little Swiss ones) its not worth it paint them; a years worth of chips and coolant and they look the same.

Hardware store cans of metal paint are I believe still enamel. You can mix your own colours, they spray well enough and are reasonably tough after a bit of cure time.

If you are getting into fancy stuff, pay attention to the level of isocyanates present ..... and avoid if are there are any. Its not being a California worry wart, some of them like Imron are potentially deadly depending on a individual's sensitivity and prior exposure. Mask isn't enough as skin absorption happens as well. We have a paint booth at work, full masks and the guys suit up and we still can't spray the higher isocyanate paints. Ministry is all over that stuff

From one of the characters on PM who imo is credible.

I had a sandblasting and painting business in Texas. I normally used a positive preasure clean air mask. One time I got lazy and used just a cartridge filter mask. Just because you don't smell anything in your mask does not mean you are protected. I painted all day and suffered from Methyol Isocyanate poisoning. It nearly killed me. I had severe lung problems, vision problems, headaches and severe depression issues. Nearly ten years later and I still have some lingering lung problems that will never get better.

So if you don't want to lug a oxygen bottle around for a long time be very careful and fully informed of the correct equipment. I was one of the lucky ones in that I only got sick and not dead!

I've not used it but heard good things about it, seems like a paint that likely won't kill you and is one of toughest.

I've been using PPG line 7 and think its pretty good, but for most machines (except the little Swiss ones) its not worth it paint them; a years worth of chips and coolant and they look the same.

Hardware store cans of metal paint are I believe still enamel. You can mix your own colours, they spray well enough and are reasonably tough after a bit of cure time.

If you are getting into fancy stuff, pay attention to the level of isocyanates present ..... and avoid if are there are any. Its not being a California worry wart, some of them like Imron are potentially deadly depending on a individual's sensitivity and prior exposure. Mask isn't enough as skin absorption happens as well. We have a paint booth at work, full masks and the guys suit up and we still can't spray the higher isocyanate paints. Ministry is all over that stuff

From one of the characters on PM who imo is credible.

I had a sandblasting and painting business in Texas. I normally used a positive preasure clean air mask. One time I got lazy and used just a cartridge filter mask. Just because you don't smell anything in your mask does not mean you are protected. I painted all day and suffered from Methyol Isocyanate poisoning. It nearly killed me. I had severe lung problems, vision problems, headaches and severe depression issues. Nearly ten years later and I still have some lingering lung problems that will never get better.

So if you don't want to lug a oxygen bottle around for a long time be very careful and fully informed of the correct equipment. I was one of the lucky ones in that I only got sick and not dead!
I spent some time looking at the SDS for the Endura 2K 2 part paint. It is pretty nasty stuff, so I take that caution seriously.

1717793351954.webp

The problem I find with MSDS is, well, if you read the one for water you'd never go near the stuff. Naturally everybody wants to CYA, so often you're back to needing a human or prior knowledge to tell you matters and what doesn't. But I have had enough credible humans warn me off the isocyanates. Different folks react with differing severity, and it different times - with exposure the odds of a sever reaction increase.

Back