• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Lucky Anvil Find

JohnnyTK

For the low price of $50 Canuckians, I was able to bring this home to add to the tool collection. Now I have to focus and get the ceiling done, so I can put this to use. Not sure who the maker was as the symbols shown are the only markings.
20201107_152104.jpg

trlvn

Ultra Member
I know little about anvils; never seen that shape before. IE, the shape of the table and the position of the hardy and pritchel holes. Is this designed for a particular purpose or is this just a regional thing?

Craig
(A buddy has a coal forge and I've pounded on hot metal a few times with him.)

historicalarms

Ultra Member
If you want to have some fun with that baby, google "anvil chucking/launching" ...I don't know where your located but I have enough Black Powder to give'r a rip....

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks great - seems to have little use - is it 50kg or 50lbs? If kg its Europe in origin. For $50 its a great, excellent deal, given the condition - if kg its amazing.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@JohnnyTK, although your anvil has a 50 mark you don't mention how many grown men it took to unload same or it's physical measurements.

I have a small hobby type anvil on my work bench with a 4"x6" base - 3 3/4" high - and 6' tongue to heel. Bathroom scales offers a weight of 9 pounds. My thinking is 50 Kg although the 50 on your vise might not refer to weight. Just saying!

francist

Super User
Is this designed for a particular purpose or is this just a regional thing?
I think you could say it’s more of a regional thing, if you want to call continents “regions”.
You find this style more typically in European anvils rather than the American or English. Peddinghaus still makes their anvils in this style I believe, as does Nimba out of Port Townsend although they’re bordering on a hybrid style.

I like the classic English or American shape better but purely from an aesthetic point of view. I have a 1-1-0 Peter Wright (English) but by far the nicest one I ever used was a brute of Hay-Budden that was just a joy to pound anything on.

8872B445-DC14-4133-B817-0DB967ECEC83.jpeg

JohnnyTK

I'm going with 50 Kilo as I had to dead lift it out of the trunk of the car. Thanks for sharing all your info on Anvils. I was looking at some recently at Princess for a new version of approximately the same size and they ran at $350.00. Sometimes I wish the tools could tell you their history.
Looks Turkish. Is it 50 kilos?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I got as my second anvil around 55 - 70 lbs Canadian made "monster" that had the worst casting ever made on earth (in former "Berlin" in ON aka Waterloo) that needed a lot of fixing for $60. And I thought I got that cheap. ... lucky dog indeed.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My son got his on a dare: “if you can carry it out the door, it is yours”. He was struggling with the 100+ lbs monster, but he wanted it really bad so he got it out the door (just) and the we loaded it onto the truck together...

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My son got his on a dare: “if you can carry it out the door, it is yours”. He was struggling with the 100+ lbs monster, but he wanted it really bad so he got it out the door (just) and the we loaded it onto the truck together...

Ha ha ha like I said "I've got lots of Black Powder" and a 1/4 lb would have expedited that operation to a few seconds. and saved his back big time...and depending on how hot it was at the time...the shop owner might or might not have appreciated the new "sun roof"

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I have seen those anvil chucking competitions. I like the ones where they don’t have enough of a “base” and the black powder just drives the bottom anvil into the ground and the top one (the one that is supposed to go airborne in a spectacular way) just kind of falls off...