• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for someone to turn brass in Guelph, KW or Cambridge

trevj

Ultra Member
If you have a gauge that hasn't been messed with (as in steel brushed) you should see how it was made. Deep drawn and spinning both leave different makrs. The bezel is very likely to have been spun. For certain the ones for speedometers etc. were.
Part of the problem is that these were often very highly polished. No marks to read on the outside. 'Maybe' marks available on the inside of the originals though!

I would ask . . .
Marmon-Keystone (Burlington)
Comco (Puslinch)
Wolseley (Guelph)
Westburne (Kitchener)

Have you tried any tubing distributors ?
You can also Google ‘Brass fabricators’ like . . .
Oskam Welding (Guelph)
Precision Metal Fabn (Waterloo)

They may have ‘drops’ that they would sell you.
Thanks for all that. I'll look into them.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Couldn’t you use a die and piece of rubber in a hydraulic press I can’t remember the name of it you could even use hydraulics with water Pressure.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Are the bodies solid brass or brass plated steel? You could try a magnet and see if they stick.

And welcome aboard from the west coast.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for all that. I'll look into them.

Unless you are fussy about looking original, I would just go buy a piece of brass bar the right size and turn it on a lathe. It would look great regardless of the authenticity. Easy peasy job on a lathe.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had to put my sunglasses on to look at material cost. ~43 $/in (USD sans shipping etc.)
You might find some discount offcuts here & there but generally people know what material is worth. Sadly, 90% of it would turn into swarf.

I Googled 3D printed brass(-ish) alloys just a bit. There are people on the forum with CAD skills & that would offer ability to capture original details that would necessitate even more machining steps from the solid depending on how close to replica you required. But I have no idea how the 3DP price would work out. Or the quality of material - tolerances, finish-ability etc. I was going to get some tubular 3D printed nickel / stainless parts made last year but I found another way around it. I'm finding there so much hype its hard to know what to believe. But most sites you can upload a CAD model & they will do a quick quote. Once of us could prepare a simple generic model to get you a ballpark figure. I think a lot of these were cast or forged back in the day, maybe some even sheet stock & brazed.

1698986042451.png

Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member
Try Ryerson Metals.Always been my goto source for brass.
I would suggest to the OP, that having a realistic idea what Brass is actually worth, may be a perspective changing event!

Lots of the folks that look for quotes pretty much get their work done for the shop's ability to have the chips converted back to cash, when dealing with brass and bronze alloys. The price got for the 'scrap'. pays for the work, after the customer pays for the stock!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, brass is almost gold......

But before you let it scare you, consider what you would be willing to pay for a new or used gauge if you could find one.

Unless you are fussy about looking original, I would just go buy a piece of brass bar the right size and turn it on a lathe. It would look great regardless of the authenticity. Easy peasy job on a lathe.
I'm not fussy about originality. And yup, turning brass bar for the bezel only then doing the body in something less expensive is a way forward. Still learning.

Upnorth

If you are not fussy about the grade of brass and live on the coast they sometimes have old brass propeller shafts for sale at a little more than scrap price. Where I live you can look around the 3 scrap yards all you want and everything is for sale.