• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for someone to setup a CNC mill and Lathe in Picture Butte

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Folks. My nephew in Lethbridge called me and asked If I could help him find someone to install and setup a Fortune V turn 20 2 axis cnc lathe and a Fadal Engineering Model 88 3 axis cnc mill. Do we have a list member that would contract out to do that? The machines are to be delivered late this week early next week apparently they have power onsite so it would be a place, hook up, test repair scenario. They are a small scale manufacturer in Picture Butte. let me know if you have a referral on if you are interested I'll put you in touch. Have a great day!

Having set up my own machine (based on Centriod's Control System), I would suggest that as a commercial shop that they contact Fadal (and Fortune) directly for set up instructions and go through the setup procedure themselves. The reason for this it gets them familarized with the differences on the machines. Each manufacturer specific control system though based on a somewhat standardized G&M-code does slightly different things. Also how one sets up the machine determines how the machine ultimately performs. It also allows them to determine any potential issues from the get go as the end user if knowledgeable enough will want it functioning.

The best way is contact the manufacturer and have them recommend someone that has knowledge of their machines if they want to out source this.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Having set up my own machine (based on Centriod's Control System), I would suggest that as a commercial shop that they contact Fadal (and Fortune) directly for set up instructions and go through the setup procedure themselves. The reason for this it gets them familarized with the differences on the machines. Each manufacturer specific control system though based on a somewhat standardized G&M-code does slightly different things. Also how one sets up the machine determines how the machine ultimately performs. It also allows them to determine any potential issues from the get go as the end user if knowledgeable enough will want it functioning.

The best way is contact the manufacturer and have them recommend someone that has knowledge of their machines if they want to out source this.
Yep, most new machines I deliver, the manufacturer has a crew or at least a company rep there for awhile to oversee install and set up. They have a vested interest in their machines performing and making the customer happy

Kelly McLaughlin

I completely understand that with new machinery but these are used and a bit dated so I'm not sure how well the manufacturers will support them. I'm hoping it isn't one of those "objects in the rearview mirror no longer matter" scenarios. Not to mention customer service just ain't what it used to be : )

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The local dealer wanted about $1000 for one day instruction hands on when I bought my mill. I turned them down. They did spend a few hours levelling and commissioning. The course I took at Sait on the Haas simulators helped a lot.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I'm not sure if they still do it, but SAIT instructors used to consult on such matters as a side gig.

Crosche

Super User
I know a former SAIT instructor that may be interested in a side job. If you are interested I can inquire for you.

Kelly McLaughlin

SureI'd put them in touch and see what they can work out. I think they need help. he can call me at 403-878-2555 and I can get him in touch. Thanks