• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for somebody to teach me TIG for 1-3 hours

Buba1

I have a DC TIG machine have never used it for TIG, just stick.
Have been welding stick for 4 years as hobby.
Looking for somebody to show me some TIG welding steel and aluminum, willing to pay, once Covid goes away.
NOT INTERESTED in "Go watch on youtube" advice.

Also advice on a 200A TIG welder that can be bought in Canada, (no Lincoln or Miller, not interested).
Everlast is too expensive...

Thank you

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think you’re going to have a hard time finding someone willing to do anything in person these days unfortunately.

If Everlast is too expensive what’s your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buba1

Sorry, "Transformer" as in TIG? When I hear old and transformer I think about stick ;)
Can you PM me and maybe let me know whereabouts are you in Calgary?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
'Transformer' is just a power source. nice and stable. Different to learn on than an inverter type. Carbon brushes for high Freq start. neat unit. An "Econo Tig 200" by Miller.

-- what machine do you have?

Buba1

For now, an inverter type that only does DC. Bad for TIG, no gas solenoid, no pedal, no switch on torch, just a sh#$ty torch.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Buba! you need AC to weld aluminium. What is the issue with Lincoln or Miller? I have a 225 Lincoln ac / dc and it's worked well for me for years, I do aluminium fin repair, fab steel parts with it, It's tig and stick, I think I used the stick once but can'r remember. Your DC unit will do steel nicely, you need to get setup with gas though. Don't write off You tube though there's lots of good info any time I run into a process I'm not familiar with it's my go to. I used it as a primer when learning to tig braze. Do you gas weld? They're quite similar and the muscle memory would speed the learning curve.