• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for some help with the software / electronics on my Taig CNC and Gecko 540

Kelly McLaughlin

HI Folks, I have a small Taig mill that runs on a gecko 540 and a thing called an armpod that I bought from Supertech some years ago, had it set up and working and then moved, at first I thought is was working ok and then it seemed to loose it's mind. I couldn't change the cuttong travel speed anymore I've unloaded and reloaded software and at times It was working but I'd like to know more about how things work so If anyone has knowlege they would share I'd like to ask some questions and see if I can get a better understanding of how things interact. The Armpod allows usb connection and One thing I'm wondering is if it's just added more stuff for the sake of marketing and I could use serial or parallel instead, The armpod seems to use a serial to usb driver so maybe it could be taken out of the equation to simplify things. any help would be appreciated.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I haven’t worked with CNC very much so for what it’s worth:
For CNC to work the step signals to each of the steppers has to be precisely timed. XP was the last windows operating system that allowed direct control of the parallel port to achieve these precise times. XP CNC software takes your gcode file and sends step signals through the parallel port. Newer version of windows can’t do this. To get around this newer PC CNC software sends gcode to an external microprocessor , GRBL, armpod etc. The external device converts the gcode to properly timed step pulses. The stepper driver takes these pulses and moves the stepper motors accordingly.

If you’re using windows XP you might be able to connect directly to the driver from the parallel port. You’re pc software will have to be capable of generating the step pulses for this to work.

Otherwise you will have to continue to use the armpod.

As for feedrates. That should be specified in your gcode.

Hope that helps

John

Kelly McLaughlin

HI John! I have Mach3 (which I believe can run direct) as well a the SupercamXP software, I found the Mach3 a bit daunting and bought the Supercam software because I was familiar with the Dos Version, I had repaired a machine for a friend years ago and had it long enough to learn the software. The Mach3 screen is quite cluttered and for the 2d stuff I do the simpler software was perfect. I can draw and cut. If the speed sliders generate Gcode then the driver issue that I think I'm having is not the cause, I'll verify that as I piece this together, I tried to call the maker a few days ago as I'd received no response to an email I'd sent and his number has been disconnected so even though the web site is up and it appears that you could order he seems to be gone. so I'll piece the puzzle together as best I can.Thanks for your reply.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm not sure how familiar you are with GCode but hopefully this will help... Is there a manual entry part (MDI) to the software where you can enter gcode at the keyboard? If so a couple simple commands can demonstrate the feed speed. Edit -> I see in your post you have Mach 3 so the MDI screen should work for this:

Center the tool and set the x,y,z, axis to zero zero zero

Then enter in your manual mode the following commands one at a time:

G20
This will set the mill to imperial - there are bunch of other 'reset' gcode commands but I hope this is all you might need.

G01 X4 F1
This command will move the spindle 4 inches on the X axis at a speed of 1 inch / minute

G01 X0 F4 This will move the spindle 4 inches back to X 0 at a speed of 4 inch/minute

the speed differences will be apparent and show if your mill is allowing you to set the speed?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Actually since you have Mach 3 there is a much easier way. Just go to the MDI tab, hit reset, and press the left right arrow keys. the spindle should move left right. The feed speed is is a widget on the page. you can turn it up and down and time the results & watch the axis values...

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi John! I don't have Mach3 configured to run this mill I'm using the supercam software but I believe it has a view / manual entry window that you mention, I will have a look after lunch and see, It may be time to bite the bullet and learn the Mach3 software, I tried to find some training when I got it but at the time I wasn't able and really didn't have the hours to invest, I guess that decision has been made for me : )

Kelly McLaughlin

Well! between reading and the advice I got so I could check my work, I got it! back up and running. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!