• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for lathe drive belt size

WilliamR

A friend shredded the rotten drive belt on his lathe and can't find replacement. No numbers left on belt to read. Not having success counting teeth over distance, metric or standard. Told him I would post here before he converts to v belt setup like King Canada, Grizzly etc.

Purchased new from Sharpe Tools North Van ~2003, they can't help. Local belt suppliers can't identify it. Lost his manual somewhere during last two moves. Haven't found size/pitch on net. Thought someone here might have one and be able to provide replacement # or pitch size.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Dale lathe 4.jpg
    Dale lathe 4.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Dale lathe 3.jpg
    Dale lathe 3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Dale lathe 2.jpg
    Dale lathe 2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 20

Tom O

Ultra Member
Try taking it to auto value or some other supply shop they should be able to help, I would think googling would bring results.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
From picture, looks like there is enough “good” belt left to make an educated guess…

Try these instructions:

There is a high probability that it is metric. Looks like the lathe was made off-shore.

You can probably still get a good estimate of the number of teeth on that belt by tracing the tother pattern on the “good” section onto a piece of paper. Then take that sector and superimpose it onto the stripped part. And count the teeth. You‘ll be within +/- one or two teeth. Should be good enough to get it spec’d and get a new one.

how to measure toothed belt

Last edited:

WilliamR

Try taking it to auto value or some other supply shop they should be able to help, I would think googling would bring results.
@Tom O Thanks, as mentioned have tried all local suppliers with no results. Have been googling for about last 5 months but no matches.
From picture, looks like there is enough “good” belt left to make an educated guess…

Try these instructions:

There is a high probability that it is metric. Looks like the lathe was made off-shore.

You can probably still get a good estimate of the number of teeth on that belt by tracing the tother pattern on the “good” section onto a piece of paper. Then take that sector and superimpose it onto the stripped part. And count the teeth. You‘ll be within +/- one or two teeth. Should be good enough to get it spec’d and get a new one.

how to measure toothed belt
@RobinHood Thanks, we measured it out similar to your method, just can't find a match. Have been to site you posted, definitely helped us get length. Just seems to be oddball pitch. Possible it is offshore lathe for German market, something like Sieg variant? But tooth count over length not lining up to anything metric or sae we have found so far. There are some fairly large belt reps in greater Vancouver area and none of them can figure it out. There is also a good site from Toronto but nothing from there jiving either.

A fellow on one of the English modeler sites mentioned a pitch that is now obsolete, but he only listed one size/length configuration and it didn't match. The timeline this lathe was made matches his example though.

Was kind of hoping someone here might have same model. The rest of the lathe (less sheetmetal) is very similar to my KC 1022ML.

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Does the machine have a data plate with manufacturer or maybe who might have badged it under their name?

The machine seems to have a bunch of cloned cousins out there that look a lot like your friend's (and your King).

Alibaba

Shimato - India

Tengzhou

WMT CNC INDUSTRIAL

Maybe one of these might be convinced to give up a copy of their manual? It would be useful if they didn't change the drive....

Good luck & good hunting!

D:cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Tom O Thanks, as mentioned have tried all local suppliers with no results. Have been googling for about last 5 months but no matches.

@RobinHood Thanks, we measured it out similar to your method, just can't find a match. Have been to site you posted, definitely helped us get length. Just seems to be oddball pitch. Possible it is offshore lathe for German market, something like Sieg variant? But tooth count over length not lining up to anything metric or sae we have found so far. There are some fairly large belt reps in greater Vancouver area and none of them can figure it out. There is also a good site from Toronto but nothing from there jiving either.

A fellow on one of the English modeler sites mentioned a pitch that is now obsolete, but he only listed one size/length configuration and it didn't match. The timeline this lathe was made matches his example though.

Was kind of hoping someone here might have same model. The rest of the lathe (less sheetmetal) is very similar to my KC 1022ML.

Try MSC Direct. If you know what size you want, they can make you one. You have to call them for that.

I couldn't find a timing belt for my Hartford Mill. They made two for me. Best of all, it was unbelievably inexpensive.

WilliamR

Does the manufacturer have a updated replacement?
@Tom O Thanks, we can't find any manufacturer data on machine? Sharpe Tools imported it and it's definitely a clone, but there seems to be all sorts of drive belt systems for the clones. Sharpe tools has no records available due to age. In searching we found a lot of owners of similar lathes converted to common v belts because some of the timing belts were obscure and hard to find.

WilliamR

Does the machine have a data plate with manufacturer or maybe who might have badged it under their name?

The machine seems to have a bunch of cloned cousins out there that look a lot like your friend's (and your King).

Alibaba

Shimato - India

Tengzhou

WMT CNC INDUSTRIAL

Maybe one of these might be convinced to give up a copy of their manual? It would be useful if they didn't change the drive....

Good luck & good hunting!

D:cool:
@Tecnico Thanks, appreciate the links.

We can't find a data tag on machine. There are definitely a lot of clones out there, noticed quite a few in EU. (and England) That's the frustrating part. I know the answer is out there so I must be asking the wrong question. I have tried search terms from every angle I can think of. Maybe one day something will pop up.

WilliamR

Try MSC Direct. If you know what size you want, they can make you one. You have to call them for that.

I couldn't find a timing belt for my Hartford Mill. They made two for me. Best of all, it was unbelievably inexpensive.
@Susquatch Thanks, just talked to buddy on phone and gave him your info. Appears to be best solution so far.

WilliamR

Try this link https://www.torontogear.com/belt-length-calculator/

You can cycle through all of the options to help identify the pitch / form of the belt.

Then try https://www.sdp-si.com/products/details/timing-belt-detail.php

There should be enough information on these two sites to help you identify the correct belt.

SDP-SI likely has the belt in stock once you identify it.
@eotrfish Thanks for links, The Toronto one was helpful, our pitch just wasn't coming up. Rechecked our numbers a few times. Had waded through the sdp-si site until my head spun.

Buddy is reluctant to let his belt go, but would be best if one of these places can see and id it themselves. that being said the local belt reps couldn't do anything with it. I updated him with info from this thread and he is leaning hard towards v belt pulley replacement from Gizzly/King etc. Then if something happens belt is available at local autoparts store versus special order.

WilliamR

a bit late to the party and by no means sure, but it has a passing resemblance to a gt2 / gt3 /... belt seen a bunch in 3d printing and such.

example of gt3 belts

hard to tell without measurements but even the EV5GT looks close
@Aarknoid Thanks I hadn't been to that site before. Plugged his info into all of them and didn't get any matches. Got excited when I saw T10, but didn't compute.

Modulus 1.5 belts are closest match to his for tooth height and pitch but not exact. I'm not sure what his tooth angles are.

WilliamR

Dug back into Sieg search and decode. Their AL 60 AL54B similarly sized made in Shanghai machines appear to have something close. M1.5 x 124Teeth by 15mm. Would be nice to find seller closer than China or Australia to compare it to. The search continues...

P.S. can't wait to start posting links legally :)

Downwindtracker2

Besides Sieg, XIMA made a 10"x22" . My son has one. There is fair number of timing belts sizes in the North American system. Too many to memorize. V-belts were easy. The tooth size , pitch, and width determine which letter size. We also had couple of metric machines that used them so I would think metric works the same way. So the belt would be a off the shelf standard. A good bearing supplier should get his hands on one for you. Good luck on your education.

WilliamR

Besides Sieg, XIMA made a 10"x22" . My son has one. There is fair number of timing belts sizes in the North American system. Too many to memorize. V-belts were easy. The tooth size , pitch, and width determine which letter size. We also had couple of metric machines that used them so I would think metric works the same way. So the belt would be a off the shelf standard. A good bearing supplier should get his hands on one for you. Good luck on your education.
Bearing supplier? Check out some of the excellent links posted in previous replies. Appreciate tip using tooth size, pitch and width to identify.

Ordered M1.5 x 124Teeth by 15mm belts from China. Now correct size known future belts can be custom made per Susquatch reply.

Downwindtracker2

I've been retired for 8 years now. But the wire mill I worked for got their bearings and belts from Kaman. Kaman might have changed ownership and name by now. I have had good luck with BC Bearing, now called Motion Canada, getting odd ball bearings and even a gear. They call it power transmission on their give aways.

WilliamR

I've been retired for 8 years now. But the wire mill I worked for got their bearings and belts from Kaman. Kaman might have changed ownership and name by now. I have had good luck with BC Bearing, now called Motion Canada, getting odd ball bearings and even a gear. They call it power transmission on their give aways.
Motion Canada staff could do nothing without a part number. He left old belt there for a week so one of their senior belt guru's could try to find something but no luck. His day job was procuring this kind of thing. He dealt with and exhausted local resources with no success, as mentioned.

I worked with belts daily in my line of work and thought it would be as simple as looking up spec's on net. None of our tooth counts over inches or mm's jibed with standard or metric, nor line up with links posted above. When close to correct pitch was found it did not correspond to lengths available. This is a proprietary length belt. We didn't know that at time, or who manufacturer was as Sharpe Industries removed manufacturer plate and rebadged with their own. A common solution on net for these machines is changing pulley types as users can't identify belt. Apparently the Motion Belt guru couldn't either.

So when you explain pitch, tell me they are available off the shelf standard and wish me luck on my education I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'm guessing you didn't bother reading thread.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is a proprietary length belt. We didn't know that at time, or who manufacturer was as Sharpe Industries removed manufacturer plate and rebadged with their own. A common solution on net for these machines is changing pulley types as users can't identify belt.

An advantage I had when I ordered mine from msc direct was that I was able to read the part number on the original.

You not being able to do that will make it very difficult.

"In my opinion", the good news is that they are probably not that expensive (mine were downright cheap so I ordered two). If so, you can prolly afford to order one of each size surrounding what you think you need. You might be able to get close with a flat tape measure (seamstress style) too.

If you need me to, I could measure my actual new pitch vs my old used pitch as well to give you some idea of how that might play out. In my case, the new belts were significantly tighter than the original.