• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for ISO 2 very light spindle oil

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Does anyone know where to buy ISO 2 spindle oil... viscosity between 1.3 and 2?

The surface grinder uses a lubricated head.... and the lack of oil is holding up our testing.

I may use the lightest oil I have just to test then drain and refill with good stuff once I find some.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don’t know what ISO rating the South Bend spindle oil is but I know that’s readily available online.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You mean something like ISO 18, right? The lightest you can get at PA is ISO 22. For a lathe up to about 2000 rpm I use ISO 32, then ISO 22 but my 3500 lathe calls for ISO 18.

I am unsure what would use even lighter ISO than 18 - something going over 5000 rpm? ISO 18 feels like a bit thicker water.

Chipper5783

I too have struggled to find light oil for my SG. I used KBC EEZ Spindle oil for my surface grinder. It is available in a 1 US gallon jug. In their online catalog, it is described as 10wt, the label on the jug is ISO 10. The manual calls for 1.3-1.5 Engler at 50 degrees C. It goes on to indicate blending 1/3 Mobil Velocite #3 and 2/3 petroleum (I have no idea what is meant by “petroleum“).

This EEZ product suggests it is a Velocite #6. See picture attached.

I am not thrilled with the ISO10 product, as the spindle gets pretty warm after prolonged operation (40-45C).

I will watch this thread (I’m looking for a lighter product). David

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 5

Chipper5783

Mobil Velocite #3 is probably one option for you (and my SG as well). Smallest volume I can find is 20 litre. My spindle holds about 1.5 litre.

Available by the litre out of England! Ebay.ca

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
You mean something like ISO 18, right? The lightest you can get at PA is ISO 22. For a lathe up to about 2000 rpm I use ISO 32, then ISO 22 but my 3500 lathe calls for ISO 18.

I am unsure what would use even lighter ISO than 18 - something going over 5000 rpm? ISO 18 feels like a bit thicker water.
nope. ISO 2. Viscosity of a whopping 1.3.

Basically thinner than singer sewing machine oil even which is 22

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
McMaster-Carr

yeah I knew they had it... but as always they're the last place you want to see recommended when you're in Canada.

I may have to go thru the cross border BS again with a shipper

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I've bought ISO 10 one gallon jugs (velocite) from amazon, just for the convenience factor, but you need lighter than that. Call some and oil and lubrication vendors. I like Commercial Oil in the Hammer, far for you, but similar vendors are all over the place.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I too have struggled to find light oil for my SG. I used KBC EEZ Spindle oil for my surface grinder. It is available in a 1 US gallon jug. In their online catalog, it is described as 10wt, the label on the jug is ISO 10. The manual calls for 1.3-1.5 Engler at 50 degrees C. It goes on to indicate blending 1/3 Mobil Velocite #3 and 2/3 petroleum (I have no idea what is meant by “petroleum“).

I am not thrilled with the ISO10 product, as the spindle gets pretty warm after prolonged operation (40-45C).

I'd imagine your surface grinder is UK origin and they mean gasoline as the solvent and the oil as the solute. I can't see myself attempting anything like that

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
To light for anything I do, lowest I use is 10iso.....but just think of how much grinding you can do with five gallons of top grade spindle oil in stock! Have at it and do your daily spark out!

very nice grinder by the way

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

I used much heavier ISO 32 oil and it takes a while - maybe an hour for the spindle to get warm. Not hot or anything but with hand touching you know its above room temperature.

I wonder if using too light oil is not a good option as well.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I wonder if using too light oil is not a good option as well.

As I understand, its engineering matter of the spindle design, clearance, load etc. I do agree there is a little bit of latitude, but generally I'd look to the viscosity requirements as stated by manufacturer.

Maybe yours is supposed to use 32, mine 10 and John's 2?

Too light? the theory is there the rotating shaft (or linear way) rides on a thin wedge of oil. If two thin, asperites (I think of them as stalagmites and stalactites lol) will collide leading to wear. Ideally the engineering should that the film thickness and surface finish as such that there is not collisions of asperites....that's the risk of too thin.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
As I understand, its engineering matter of the spindle design, clearance, load etc. I do agree there is a little bit of latitude, but generally I'd look to the viscosity requirements as stated by manufacturer.

Maybe yours is supposed to use 32, mine 10 and John's 2?

Well, I searched online yesterday again for a manual but I got a forum post where someone says that recommendation was ISO 10 from someone and ISO 15 from someone else due to "age".

The bearing in the spindle is very large so I do not think the issue is of it not getting some parts lubricated. I think the issue is friction caused by thicker oil with high speed. But like I said, my grinder does not get hot to the touch - just barely warm. This could be caused by me last time running it in early spring with garage at 10C. The spec for ISO 15 can be in ambient temperature of over 20C or 25C & with spindle temperature limited to rise up no more than say 20C.

Now I need ISO 18 oil for my lathe and the variator is very sensitive to any ISO changes even tiny ones. So I could use ISO 18 in my SG but I have less than 1L of it left and its next to impossible to find it. Best I can do is ISO 22 from PA.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I may have a line on an ISO 2 spindle oil available in Canada.

I contacted the US labs that make oil and who in the past had made an ISO 2 oil but dont have it on their website any longer. They responded asking for all my contact details and forwarded me to a local GTA company. That company responded asking if I wanted 1 pint or 1 gallon.

Neither confirmed that they had ISO 2 oil, but they acted like they did... so I'm trusting that they do and I'll have some in my hands soon.

Chipper5783

My SG spindle called for ISO5, I was not able to source any, so got a gallon of ISO10 “high speed spindle” oil from KBC. After a few hours of operation the spindle was very warm to the touch. I was able to get a couple litres of ISO2 out of the UK (pretty quick, bout $100cad delivered). Turns out both were Velocite product, I blended to ISO5. In two hours of running, the spindle didn’t feel any warmer than when I’d started.

Happy with the result.