Looking for help getting a 1.250" hole bored/drilled in a aluminium intake (Calgary)

I've got a aluminium automobile intake manifold that I need a 1.250" hole bored (drilled/CNC) to accommodate a
oil filler tube. Just one hole.
It will require a bit of a set up because of the shape of the intake manifold and the hole is at a 25 degree angle.
If anyone can refer me to a shop or someone who may have a milling/CNC machine that can do the work that would be great.
Thanks,
-George

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
From what you've described I cant see that CNC is required, a manual mill could do this. Depending on the physical size & orientation, maybe the manifold is clamped flat & the mill head rotated to drill/bore at the angle vs. orientating the manifold at an angle & drilling vertically. Are you looking for precision (like +/- 0.001) in which case a boring head would have to be used after roughing drill. Alternately something like an annular cutter might be able to make the finished hole (guessing +/- 0.003), but would have to be sufficient flute length for the material.

Attachments

• SNAG- 8-20-2020 000.jpg
    SNAG- 8-20-2020 000.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for your reply Peter.
I am aware of the different methods of getting this hole made, as I have done similar work
on Excello mills many times. The problem is finding a place that has all the particular tooling to be able to do it.
CNC would be much faster without all the necessary sized tooling, but I really don't discount using a manual mill.
This hole is not that fussy in being precise as it is for a press fit of basically a 1 1/4 inch pipe.
As I was writing this, i got a call and we have located a shop that will do this for us next week.
Thank you very much for your interest in my project.
-George