• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for help getting a 1.250" hole bored/drilled in a aluminium intake (Calgary)

I've got a aluminium automobile intake manifold that I need a 1.250" hole bored (drilled/CNC) to accommodate a
oil filler tube. Just one hole.
It will require a bit of a set up because of the shape of the intake manifold and the hole is at a 25 degree angle.
If anyone can refer me to a shop or someone who may have a milling/CNC machine that can do the work that would be great.
Thanks,
-George

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
From what you've described I cant see that CNC is required, a manual mill could do this. Depending on the physical size & orientation, maybe the manifold is clamped flat & the mill head rotated to drill/bore at the angle vs. orientating the manifold at an angle & drilling vertically. Are you looking for precision (like +/- 0.001) in which case a boring head would have to be used after roughing drill. Alternately something like an annular cutter might be able to make the finished hole (guessing +/- 0.003), but would have to be sufficient flute length for the material.

Attachments

• SNAG- 8-20-2020 000.jpg
    SNAG- 8-20-2020 000.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for your reply Peter.
I am aware of the different methods of getting this hole made, as I have done similar work
on Excello mills many times. The problem is finding a place that has all the particular tooling to be able to do it.
CNC would be much faster without all the necessary sized tooling, but I really don't discount using a manual mill.
This hole is not that fussy in being precise as it is for a press fit of basically a 1 1/4 inch pipe.
As I was writing this, i got a call and we have located a shop that will do this for us next week.
Thank you very much for your interest in my project.
-George