• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Looking for feedback on small milling machine

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My personal thoughts. The only down side to a circular section (post) style mill is every time you raise or lower the head, the potential exists to lose your XY orientation. Unfortunately that happens often with tool changes, even something as simple as a short center drill to longer drill to a tap. Yes there are workarounds but its yet another thing. IMO if faced with funds or space or both constraints, I'd probably opt for a smaller dovetail mill. Next step up would be an RF-45 style machine, which really doesn't occupy appreciably more footprint, just weighs more. Some people dont even bother with the stand which can vary from OK to cheesy sheet metal & mount the casting base it to a bench or home brew stand.

The other factor is accessories. A small machine dictates small-ish accessories because both the headroom, table & T-slots are smaller: vise, rotary table, related clamping systems, MT vs R8 spindle tooling, chucks.... Those cost money too, often as much or more than the machine. Yes they can probably be re-deployed or utilized a larger mill, But another train of thought is buy it once. Ihave seen guys do amazing things on smaller mills as long as the job suits the machine. So it all boils down to what you aspire to do. I think the RF-45 style is a sweet spot all things equal. About the same available head room as a baby BP, all accessories very compatible to an upgrade if it happens. The only thing they are lacking (if you want to use that word) is power & overall rigidity. But you could do many years of work before upgrading to something larger.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Excellent points from the previous posters.

Here are my 2c: whatever you end up getting, it will be a compromise. You will come across a job where you needed more x, y, and z travel. You will run out of headroom. You will not be able to hold a part the ideal way. You will say to yourself “wouldn’t it be nice if I only had ...”
This is where you have to get creative and find workarounds, start thinking outside the box. It will be frustrating at times too because you see the solution right in front of you, but can’t get there from here because you don’t have the right size machine. Maybe you have to make your part in two (or more) smaller pieces that fit on the mill you have.

Remember: Having a milling machine is better than having no milling machine.

Have a look at this video of a fellow using a milling machine that is way too small for the job...

thriller007

Well I with I could travel back in time and buy it. 20 years of use out of it and he wants $1600 for the one i showed you a picture of.
I have owned both a mini-mill and the RF 30 that I currently still own (exact same machine as the "House of Tools photo" $1200 new in Y2K or thereabouts), I do mostly agree with David, with a choise between the mini & the RF, the RF wins hands down. I did add a power feed to the long axis and consider that money well spent.
However they do have some shortfalls that come into play at time's. The two biggest to me are the belt speed changes and the fact that the head cant be tilted at all. The column locking mechanism has never been a problem for me. The shorter table travel than a bigger machine has its limitations but with a bit of forethought and judicious clamping arrangements this can usually be mitigated down to no problem at all.

All in all I would give my left nut to have a gear driven BP...but as my left nut is worthless & I don't have the cash....Ill happily use my RF 30...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well I with I could travel back in time and buy it. 20 years of use out of it and he wants $1600 for the one i showed you a picture of.
Holy smokes! That's outrageous even by my market standards

You'd be better off going to KMS and buying a new King

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

That was my reaction as well. Unless it comes with a whole swack of goodies.

Last edited:

thriller007

That is why I am on here. You guys have the knowledge I do not. With that said it does come with a collet set and some end mills and a stand. What do you guys think something like that should go for?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The collets, end mills and stand are pretty irrelevant to be honest.

Just looked at the picture and it looks to be in reasonable condition.
Have you seen the mill? What kind of overall condition is it in?

thriller007

I have not seen the mill in person.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
I’m in the market for a small milling machine and space is a limitation that I have. I do have one of the combination lathe and Milling machines. From busy bee . I was looking at getting a more dedicated machine.
Some of the machines that I was exploring were the Craftex cx601, Craftex cx600, king Canada 20vs, and rong fu style mill drill.
I’m just trying to learn more with regard to these machines and what they can do as well as what they can’t do. Thanks in advance
Mine is cx 602 craftex from Busy bee and I love it .

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would have preferred a CX602 style over my RF-45 style at the time, but I don't recall Busy Bee even being in Calgary back then. My buddy in Kitchener had a nice BB lathe & it was Taiwanese. Grizzly has one like that too. A feature I like about those is belt drive, very quiet by comparison & maybe a bit more amenable to VFD conversion vs the RF-45 top mount (not sure there).
My (Taiwan) RF-45 was a rattle box right from the get go. Pretty sure it was related to the sliding spline quill columns & not the gears. It didn't suffer accuracy or vibration as a result but was just annoying. The Chinese equivalent RF-45 we saw run at Modern tool was much quieter so they obviously have made some improvement, I just don't know what or where.

thriller007

I Now have had a look at it but it was jammed into the corner of a storage locker. It looked very clean from the limited amount I could see.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I Now have had a look at it but it was jammed into the corner of a storage locker. It looked very clean from the limited amount I could see.

Don't know what to say about the $1600 asking price? Seems high to me unless it came with DROs and a vise etc.

There was one advertised in Lloydminster for $500 earlier this year and not all that long ago one in Calgary disassemble for moving listed as make me an offer. We are not sure the one in LLoyd was an RF30 or something smaller and the one in Calgary apparently had a casting crack of some sort.

thriller007

Don't know what to say about the $1600 asking price? Seems high to me unless it came with DROs and a vise etc.

There was one advertised in Lloydminster for $500 earlier this year and not all that long ago one in Calgary disassemble for moving listed as make me an offer. We are not sure the one in LLoyd was an RF30 or something smaller and the one in Calgary apparently had a casting crack of some sort.
Yes there was a vice collets and end mills.