• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for Entry level Steel capable CNC

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
There are some good honest reviews over on CNC Zone and you tube, but you have to wade through a lot of BS from both sides to find the truth in the middle IMO.

I honestly think Tormach bought a lot of good press through you tube sponsorships over the years, at least that's my impression anyway. The main one from NY tends to cloud the truth a bit sometimes, but that's a big chunk of his business model. It's a shame, because it's honestly a pretty good product for the market they serve, but the hype is a big pile of BS that does them no favours. If you read between the lines, a lot of the youtubers have moved on from Tormach as their business has grown, and their products they actually make and sell demand a more professional manufacturing process. The ones who's business model is selling youtube content and things to Tormach owners still proclaim their greatness. Reading between the lines, there have been many great products created and business' launched with a Tormach leading the way, but it's a machine that doesn't really scale up to high production. It is what it is, a good, well rounded, entry level machine.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I had the 1100 s3 in my old shop and you are 100% right. But i want to say something for the guys who don't know Tormach CNC; the 1100 s3 is not in production anymore, the new1100MX have a pretty decent enclosure, 2HP spindle motor,10krpm and BT30.
I've read that about the new ones. It seems like they've fixed a lot of the shortcoming of the earlier model, and that's great for them. The product HAS evolved a lot over the years, while still staying in their niche. The price has increased to compensate for it though. Can't blame them, it's expensive to manufacture products these days. If mine had those upgrades, I'd love it. But for now, I just like it lol.

Morning,
I've been researching various CNC equipment for a couple years now.
It's become a partial early morning pastime for me.
This Precision Mathews is a bit above your budget, but you're getting a brand new machine.
I've read very good reviews about this brand.
Once I have the finances, this mill with the CNC conversion is the one I'm planning (at this point) to get.
- https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-728vt-ultra-precision-mill/
I know it doesn't have an enclosure, but that's a fairly basic piece to fabricate. The fellow that imports and sells these is said to give service second to none.
I'm a total beginner to machining, so if this isn't what you're looking for, it's just my thoughts based on lots of reading.
Good luck in your search
Ken

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Bri4gGx.jpg

j40bxyT.jpg

TV1QE0i.jpg

ZulsjSi.jpg

RgMZuSc.jpg

Sorry, can't help with CNC.

What are the wedge things in many of your photos? Looks cool, but what is it?

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
One machine I've had my eye on is this CNC router:

Stefan Gotteswinter gets great use out of his CNC router (but his is out of your price range). This one looks promising - there are a few youtubers that have them. (techdiy comes to mind).

Now this is *not* a mill - it is a router. It is capable of doing moderate accuracy work well within the envelope you are describing. It is about your price range when on sale.

gerritv

Gerrit
Or you can build your own steel capable router/gantry mill using a drill press and some imagination. (machine has since been shrouded and further enhanced). Might have CA$2000 invested. I have used it for steel in manual mode but mostly aluminum for CNC mode. I have some steel parts to do in a while making tool holders for a Tripan 011L QCTP.

Attachments

• 20201227_195353 (Medium).jpg
    20201227_195353 (Medium).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 4

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
One machine I've had my eye on is this CNC router:

Stefan Gotteswinter gets great use out of his CNC router (but his is out of your price range). This one looks promising - there are a few youtubers that have them. (techdiy comes to mind).

Now this is *not* a mill - it is a router. It is capable of doing moderate accuracy work well within the envelope you are describing. It is about your price range when on sale.
Before I built my CNC router I very nearly bought one of these. I have about that much invested and have a machine that is extremely capable.