• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

CA-ON Looking for Brass rod in Ottawa

Ontario
Type
Metal

darrin1200

Darrin
More specifically on a Saturday afternoon.
I’m heading to Ottawa this afternoon, and am in need of 3 feet of 5/8 brass rod. I know of metal superstore, but they aren’t open on Saturday. Is there another place that is open on the weekend?
Im using it to make mandrels for making my custom pens.
Any help would be appreciated.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I usually purchase stock from MetalPros (close to MetalSupermarket), however they are also closed Saturdays. I have some brass, but not what you need. Those are the only two places that I'm aware of. Ottawa is a bit of a sleeply little town for supplies considering a population of 1M people.

darrin1200

Darrin
I usually purchase stock from MetalPros (close to MetalSupermarket), however they are also closed Saturdays. I have some brass, but not what you need. Those are the only two places that I'm aware of. Ottawa is a bit of a sleeply little town for supplies considering a population of 1M people.
Thanks. You should try Brockville. LOL
I have a couple of pieces of 1-1/4, but can’t bring myself to cut that much off. 3/4 would work great also.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd be curious to know what 5/8" brass rod is worth these days. I've got some 2" round 360 brass kicking around for steam engine flywheel projects etc. (if any one is interested).

darrin1200

Darrin
I'd be curious to know what 5/8" brass rod is worth these days. I've got some 2" round 360 brass kicking around for steam engine flywheel projects etc. (if any one is interested).
At MetalSuperMarket, a 3’ piece of C360 @ 5/8”, is $84.25
The same piece at OnlineMetals, is $84.76CAD plus $44.75CAD shipping.

There is a metal shop in town here, but my experience is that they prefer lindustrial orders. I’ll call them tomorrow.
‘My other option is to check a local scrapyard. I just won’t know exactly what I’m getting.

darrin1200

Darrin
I just checked MetalPros in Ottawa, and they are $25.18/ft

@John Conroy Those are good prices on eBay. If I’m not mistaken, that is the same guy from Cardon Tools in Perth. Even with shipping, it’s under $20/ft. I guess I’m going eBay. Not usually a fan, but oh well.
Thanks

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good lead. I bought a few sticks.
Yes I think those prices are about as good as I have seen but the shipping sure adds to the overall cost. If local guys could pick up it up and avoid shipping costs, then it would be a really good deal.

darrin1200

Darrin
Got my brass delivered today. Expertly packaged flat & minimal with heavy carboard containment & fiberglass tape. Good deal & supports a Canuck.
Mine arrived finally arrived on Wednesday. A little disappointing, considering they are less than an hour away. It was just an unlucky alignment of timing with FedEx. Really solidly packaged. I may take a drive up there in a couple of weeks. I haven’t been there since last year.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You mean disappointed with the shipping mode & price or that fact that you missed delivery?
If the latter, I know what you mean. Sometimes if you can get between the seller & shipper provided a note like 'ok to drop ship at residence'. But it doesn't always work & I kind of get their policy. If they leave it at your doorstep as instructed & <insert tragedy> it goes MIA & now you want reimbursement. Amazon drops all the time, but they log a picture (well 80% of the time) & maybe that is their legal out. Purolater, Fedex, even CP depending on the arrival mode usually require a signature confirming receipt. If nobody home it reverts to a local depot or whatever their plan-B is. I've also had cases where they would drop one time but not the other, upon inquiry it was based on value. I can almost justify an acount at my local UPS store because its manned, they can sign for anything arriving from anywhere.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Darrin
I didn’t miss the shipment, FedEx always drops it at my door.
Due to a series of unlucky timings, my parcel didn’t get onto a FedEx truck for 6 days. Once it was on the truck, it arrived the next day.
I have spoken to the guy about picking it up but that doesn’t really work. His Brick&Mortar store and his EBay store are two separate identities. And apparently EBay won’t allow him to blur the line between them. I ran into the same problem with Etsy. If I, in any way, direct a client away from Etsy, they would lock my store. That includes my own website, or even email communication outside of the Etsy platform. It’s one of the reasons I left Etsy.