• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a machinist near Aurora Ontario

Shandit66

I have a small project that I need done.
Cut a thread on a 1.5" OD pipe, 6 TPI.

1. Hollow tubing, 1.5” OD, ½” thick wall
  2. (Hollow, so i can hook up a vacuum system on the non-threaded end
  3. Threaded on the other end - 6 TPI (its an old standard, but the same as my main lathe)

I will provide the adapter, to test the threads
Threads, long enough to grab the adapter
Face the end of the tubing so the adapter sits square
The shaft will fit into a set of pillow blocks, which I have

Its a pretty basic job on a metal lathe - I just dont have one.

If anyone has recommendations in my area (Aurora, Ontario) I would greatly appreciated it!
Barrie, Newmarket, Vaughn, Toronto

Thanks
Olaf

Brent H

Ultra Member
How long is the tube? I have a lathe to do that but I am limited with the pass through diameter to just shy of 1-3/8”. If the tube is not long, there is a chance……

Shandit66

Its 18" long, could be cut down a bit if needed.
I have all the other parts for test fitting

Any help at all, is very much appreciated.

Olaf

Brent H

Ultra Member
I could probably do 18”. I can’t do it for a couple weeks until I am home, but I do have a side job in Aurora when I get back so we could meet then if that works?

darrin1200

Darrin
I’m glad you found someone Brent.
I saw your post on Cdn Wood Working forum. That spiraled into a Pipe thread tutorial really fast LOL. They mean well, but they can get spun off topic pretty easy.

Shandit66

I’m glad you found someone Brent.
I saw your post on Cdn Wood Working forum. That spiraled into a Pipe thread tutorial really fast LOL. They mean well, but they can get spun off topic pretty easy.

Yeah - I posted on a few forums. Got a lot of design advise, but not much help. :)