• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

looking for a little info

tvr2500m

Hi all new guy here just got a Advance lathe model TY-1340BH-G made in 1986 from the farther in law went to put oil in one of the main head bearings to bring it up in the cite glass and in ran out slowly so I guess the seal is gone looked for info on the net but not to good with the computer and I do not have a 5 year old to show me lol any why any one have a brake down of this machine or a link to one I would like to know what the seal is before I take any thing apart. like to make sure I can still get one some where and know the proper why to do it.
Thanks for any help
Rick

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is it a headstock type lathe where the gears are immersed in an oil bath with a bolt-on top cover? Or more like the link you posted #4 which is a different open-the-lid type which exposes sets of sheaves to change speeds type model? If the former I've been told the top lid gasket will often rip especially if its old. Maybe someone can chime in about making gaskets but I've seen links where guys have had to deal with RTV-like gasket sealant & it can be a real bugger to remove again.
In terms of leaks or the oil level sight glass there are likely other 'seals' associated with shafts that lie beneath the oil line. You would have to refill & see where oil was leaking. Sorry, I don't know what the seals look like. They could be unique to the machine or more standard rectangular ring profile or... If you cant find an exact manual, you might be ale to interpolate from other generic lathes.

Some of us are also on this website which has a sub-forum called Asian Lathes & Mills. Maybe someone will recognize if you post pics or more details.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/asian-lathes-mills.451/

tvr2500m

im away working so not able to take pics but im sure just the bearings are wet when i get home again i will post some pics but that might not be till xmass lol

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My lathe has several bad seals. Result of a bad mover 25 years ago... Still runs fine, but I promise to fix the seals one day! The point is, you can use the lathe by keeping the bearings oiled;

In many lathes (like mine) you have to destroy the bearings to get them out which is the only way to fix the inner seals.

tvr2500m

by the amount of oil I cleaned up it has been leaking for a bit but all is still tight maybe just use some STP or some thing that will stick to the bearing better ??

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm no expert but my experience is that for the past , say 22 years, light gear oil has kept my bearings wet and tight. I'm looking at replacing the seals (again), but I still am having confidence issues with every millwright I encounter. [none seem to have the requisite experience]

- so no I wouldn't recommend STP, but it is very possible it is a better solution than mine.