• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for a 7x12 Bandsaw

John Conroy

Premium Member
Just for general interest I went and looked at the supposedly made in Taiwan 7 X 12 saw at Busy Bee and the Magnum saw at KMS today. They look like exactly the same saw, I could not see any detail that looked different. The Magnum saw is a pretty good deal at $1100 right now. These are belt driven though, not the higher spec direct drive like Janger bought.

https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-7-x-12-metal-band-saw-6141

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-b-saw-7in-x12in-1hp-csa-craftex-cx103.html

John

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Just the typical water based coolant at busy bee, PA or kms should be fine. I have a 5 gal of that lennox stuff I haven't tried yet but for pretty much everything I use the white shit.

Kyle - Did you try that Lenox stuff? Band ade version or saw master version? The former claims biodegradable and ‘safe’ the later talks about no rancidity but the msds seems to say it’s more toxic and you need gloves. I’d like to use it my bandsaw and mill - the PA stuff I tried now has become lumpy gross in the tank after 6 months or so...

I’m going to be cutting those 6.75” logs 4130 today and I’d like to use coolant on it.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I bought some Lenox band ade saw coolant. It’s different than the oil that mixes into the white emulsion-the water stayed clear. It’s kind of a Fanta orange syrup colour. The kms staffer said it’s good and as long as it does not freeze it should stay clump free. Tried it today on a big cut and it did its job as coolant. 1:20 ratio. I’ll try to report back in 6 months with an update.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
https://m.kmstools.com/lenox-band-ade-band-saw-fluid-18-9l-109766

https://m.kmstools.com/lenox-band-ade-band-saw-fluid-3-8l-97070

Are you able to increase the blade speed with the coolant? I'm still running my new saw without coolant but at a slow blade speed because I really don't want the mess of coolant but if I could speed up the çutting speed I might switch to coolant.

I didn’t try a speed higher than lowest but blade stayed cool I think EDIT about 27C EDIT when I measured it. I’m going to try medium next.

Attachments

• 16927AC7-FAE2-47AB-9B2C-91053150AD9D.png
    16927AC7-FAE2-47AB-9B2C-91053150AD9D.png
    619.1 KB · Views: 8
  • F116DD28-EF3C-4DB7-925F-C88008B7FFF8.jpeg
    F116DD28-EF3C-4DB7-925F-C88008B7FFF8.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

kylemp

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I haven't tried mine but I've got 20l of the band-ade stuff. According to ellis my machine was designed to run dry but I don't believe any saw can't or shouldn't run coolant. Whenever I get off my ass and make a sump and pump setup I'll start running flood coolant. Right now I'm still using just the busy bee or princess auto emulation stuff by hand. I have the same issue with it gelling up when it's left too long and coolant is known to spoil and rot. There are systems out there to stop that kind of thing but they're complex and expensive and probably a bit hazardous. If you circulated your coolant daily you probably wouldn't end up with the issue of congealing on the top layers but in a home shop that's hard to do. I filter mine if it's been sitting mixed for a while because it plugs up the nozzles in my bottle.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Kyle, several of the guys on the HobbyMachinist web site have tried it, and had one big problem. The Ellis bandsaw uses open bearings. So as the coolant drips into the bearings the bearings will rust, etc... Check under your covers to see if you have bearings with seals If not may I suggests plumbers grease, which is at least a little water resistant?

alman

Hi

I'm looking for a reliable 7x12 bandsaw in reasonably good condition. Coolant would be nice. Made in taiwan would be nice. PM me. or text 403 836 thirty one ninety too

John
Hi John, I have a 7x12 bandsaw if you need material cut, am in Queensland 403 899 2 2 3 7

alman

Kyle, several of the guys on the HobbyMachinist web site have tried it, and had one big problem. The Ellis bandsaw uses open bearings. So as the coolant drips into the bearings the bearings will rust, etc... Check under your covers to see if you have bearings with seals If not may I suggests plumbers grease, which is at least a little water resistant?
FYI, replace the bearings with type with rubber seals, - 2RS (suffix for bearing) TSL has good stock and range

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I bought some Lenox band ade saw coolant. It’s different than the oil that mixes into the white emulsion-the water stayed clear. It’s kind of a Fanta orange syrup colour. The kms staffer said it’s good and as long as it does not freeze it should stay clump free. Tried it today on a big cut and it did its job as coolant. 1:20 ratio. I’ll try to report back in 6 months with an update.
Well it’s been a year since I bought this. Today the coolant was somewhat murky with a layer of gunk on top. As it dried out I just kept adding water. It hasn’t needed changing till today. I think that’s pretty good.

Downwindtracker2

You want coolant for washing away chips as well as cooling. Feed pressure is very critical as well. Let the teeth do their work. That's if you want a square cut.