• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a 13-16" Swing lathe 36-48 between centers

Thadious

Ideally searching for an old South Bend 13-16" lathe with a 6 or 7 foot bed. What can I say, owned a 10K that I rebuild that came from an high school and was metric, so the bed wear was minimal and converted it to an inch machine. Loved it for it's simplicity and abundance of replacement parts, but sold it because I wanted something a bit larger capacity. Miss the old machine and I have a worn out old beast that I'm using currently.

So, on the search for something a bit larger that might be a good deal and I don't mind rebuilding an older machine as long as the price is right and obtainable.

One of the reasons I like the old SBs as well is that even though they may be a larger machine, a simple engine hoist or skid steer can lift the components around to assemble and disassemble the machine.

I'm not one to p*ss around when I find what I'm looking for and I think it's a good deal. Live in the central Kootenays but certainly willing to drive a reasonable distance (6-10 hrs) to pick up the right machine for the right price! My budget is around $5K and also looking for a BP or BP clone near the same price.

I can find what I'm looking for south of the border but with the current state of affairs, I think it will be awhile before that's a viable option.

Thoughts?

Thadious

Free if I was going that way and had room. NO tarp

$9500 if I have to tarp it, doorstep delivery, full truck load/priority shipping :D

As much as that has quite the span, nothing is ever "free"! I'm the type that would always pay something or make a square deal.
Priority, definitely not. More just looking to get it here, regardless of how long it took, but I would imagine the seller would want it gone asap (usually looking to make space in shops).

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
As much as that has quite the span, nothing is ever "free"! I'm the type that would always pay something or make a square deal.
Priority, definitely not. More just looking to get it here, regardless of how long it took, but I would imagine the seller would want it gone asap (usually looking to make space in shops).
If you’re serious about it, I’d be looking for a rigger with a warehouse. Send the riggers in to move it, send it to the warehouse, then once transport is arranged they load it on a truck and it’s on it’s way. There are companies in the GTA that do that I’m just drawing a blank right now. Other guys have used Manitoulin or DHL to ship machines before as LTL freight. If you want I can find the name of the rigging company

Thadious

As much as this is what I'm looking for and the price is right from the seller, the additional costs to get it here would very quickly approach a prohibitive fact, I would believe.

You bring up some great ideas and possibilities but I might just have to look a little closer (36 hr drive = 12hrs a day x 6 days there and back + 6 hotel rooms and meals) is a bit much!

I may be retired, but there is limits!

Thank you so very much for the input.
Ted

Thadious

Well, funny thing... I woke up this morning and found that one of my friends bf is a trucker... well, and they were in Milton, Ont... about 20 min away from the linked lathe on post #2. A couple phone calls found that they were looking for items for a backhaul, a deal was struck, a lathe was picked up and that bad boy is on it's way to a new home! Let's just say that the shipping was economical and made it worthwhile! 158828456_378219133388228_3525556458278362766_n.jpg

Thadious

The shop is 32'x52' with 16' ceilings and a 16'x32' mezzanine (for woodworking tools). We just bought the place last Jan and I've been renovating the shop (which was just a shell on a foundation/slab) and the house since we moved in. Shop will be done this year and still need to install the hoist and find the next item on the list... the Bridgeport mill!

And thank you, the machine is in better shape than expected, I just haven't had the time to do a 'two collar' test on it to calculate bed wear but the previous own did replace the compound and cross feed nuts. Backlash is 0.005" on the compound an 0.008" on the cross feed. So pretty happy with that!

It's been painted a few times over the years, but this one will be stripped down, the swarf removed and cleaned out and all new felts and oils throughout. Still need to check the play in the headstock, but feels pretty solid at this point.

Thadious

.005? .008? that machine is barely broken in! Nice find!

The PO had stated that he had recently replaced them. I have to get ahold of Grizzly to see if I can get the card for the lathe. From what I understand it was in a school in Milton, Ont before it was sold off, so I do expect it to have a fair amount of wear. Won't be able to tell until I get it into place, levelled and run a few cuts on it. The old SB 10K I used to have I was able to get to within 0.0005"/ft taper before I gave up "tuning" it any further, but those machines had the adjustable foot under the tailstock end... this one doesn't so I may have to shim it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Well, funny thing... I woke up this morning and found that one of my friends bf is a trucker... well, and they were in Milton, Ont... about 20 min away from the linked lathe on post #2. A couple phone calls found that they were looking for items for a backhaul, a deal was struck, a lathe was picked up and that bad boy is on it's way to a new home! Let's just say that the shipping was economical and made it worthwhile!View attachment 13708

Just a tip you could pass on to your "good Samaritan" trucker if you ever run into him again.
Tell him to put a twist in his load binder belts both sides of the load, this will cut the wind vibration to almost nil on those belts...they will last a lot longer for him.
Binding belts with no twist in them will vibrate themselves to a frayed condition much quicker. Load corners & deck edges become much more sever on his straps.
Straps that are tightened up flat from top to bottom will sing or slap like tightly wound guitar strings (you can hear them when passing a deck truck on the hi-way).

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I was thinking about this yesterday (early) wondering if the lathe had arrived.
Are you north or east of "the city"?, since west would put you in Salmo and south in the states:)

Thadious

Think just a little north of town but before Wynndel and on the backside of the mountain...

Used to live in the Victoria area for the last 30+ years!

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I know the area well, I've lived in Castlegar, Nelson and spent quite a few years in Cranbrook.
Looks like you found a nice machine, hope you enjoy it.