• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Looking for 1/4" Square Bar in A36

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It's getting tough to find 1/4" square bar in A36 anymore. MSM, Federal, Varsteel and Steel Inc. don't carry it. You can get 1018, but that won't work for my application. Also, 1018 is about 3X the cost at least.

I'm sourcing it for a project coming up this winter and I need about 550 feet of it. But the MSM price for the 1018 is over $1000. I did a similar project maybe 15+ years ago and my notes reflect that I paid $200 from Calgary Metal (back when they sold new product). I did find a guy online that thought he had a bunch but it turned out to be 3/8" and he can't testify to the alloy.

Anyone know other places to try in Calgary?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
40+ garden fences. They have to match existing ones, which are square and a complicated design. Lots of tight bends which can be done on a hand bender if A36, but not 1018 as easily.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yeah, starting to look like a no-go, at least in Calgary. You used to be able to find this stuff years ago, but haven't found a way to get it here economically from the USA.

I'm thinking the best option maybe to convince the person I'm making them for to tweak the design such that they are different, but complimentary to the existing fences. Then you could use round bar and make them shorter or taller than the originals. The homeowner could alternate the old square one ones with the new ones to get a different look. Then the pattern—rather than the fences—would all match throughout the yard.

Thanks guys.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What about Ryerson? Russel Metals? Fastenal?

Ryerson does list A36 square bar - smallest size is 3/8” online. Maybe with 550 feet required, they can get it for you?

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
On a completely different but related note, I love to see some of your work Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
Thirty years ago I used to buy a product called nail rod from suppliers here in Calgary. They didn't list it in their products. It was cheaper than 1018 or A36 and was quite malleable. You could try asking your supplier about it.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thirty years ago I used to buy a product called nail rod from suppliers here in Calgary. They didn't list it in their products. It was cheaper than 1018 or A36 and was quite malleable. You could try asking your supplier about it.
Will do, thanks John.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
What about Ryerson? Russel Metals? Fastenal?

Ryerson does list A36 square bar - smallest size is 3/8” online. Maybe with 550 feet required, they can get it for you?
Tried them all. If it weren't for the fact I have some left over from 15 years ago you'd think there was no such thing. I think it is one of those sizes they stopped making except in the biggest markets as there is so little demand. Same thing happened with an odd sized channel I used to buy long ago too.

Feelin' old......

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
A few years ago I wanted 1/4 square bar - I also couldn't find it anywhere - I didn't even care what grade it was. James at Steel Inc did find a lead but I would have to buy 2500 X 40' lengths. :) ha ha 200 miles of it.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
LOL. Great. I’ll take 500 feet of that 200 miles John. Assuming you have some left........

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Chatham steel has A36 in 1/4 square bar, but you'd pay a king's ransom for shipping... their head office is in Georgia...