• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Logan Lathe Victoria BC - Offers

Too bad it doesn't have gearbox.
Doesn't it have change gears on the end? The accessories pic shows a bunch of gears.
logan2.JPG
Old machines look charming, but I think I could get more accomplished with my cheap 7x lathe - and all the readily available tooling for it.
Anyway, I'm always suspicious when sellers don't list a price. I may miss some bargains that way, but usually experience has shown the seller has an unrealistic view of the value.

Why doncha offer him $100 and see what happens? :)

I need another project like I need another project ;)
It is nicely complete and that steady rest would likely fit my South Bend but I'm gonna pass. I'd bet he'd take a thou for it though.

@David_R8 - But look at all the other stuff and it could be the original dauber. It looks like a 10" swing machine, can't tell if it's a V or flat belt drive.
I think the Logans were V-belt. Mark Winquist of Winkys Workshop runs a Logan. His is pretty skookum but also has a gear box. Once you get used to a quick change gear box you will never go back to change gears.

The steady and follower rests are worth a few pennies to be sure. I can honestly say that I've swapped jaws on my 3-jaw about twice. A four jaw is more versatile than a three, albeit not quite as quickly used as a 3 jaw.

I can honestly say that I've swapped jaws on my 3-jaw about twice.
Funny how work styles can differ. Every time I use the 3-jaw it seems that the 'wrong' jaws are in it, and need swapping. :) It's only a 1 minute job, so not something I think about much.

I think the Logans were V-belt. Mark Winquist of Winkys Workshop runs a Logan. His is pretty skookum but also has a gear box. Once you get used to a quick change gear box you will never go back to change gears.
Once you get used to an ELS you never engage the quick change gearbox.

If "time ISN'T money", the 2-3 minutes for a gear change doesn't seem like a big deal for me. :) I do like variable speed, though - I'd miss that in a 'better' lathe.
It's not so much time or money. When I was building my Gingery Lathe I didn't want to spend the time to build both the shaper and the horizontal mill along with dividing head in order to be able to cut gears for the lathe. It was, for me, much easier in 2006 to design my ELS and use that for threading. The group pushed for cross slide automation so ultimately my Gingery could also do tapers and completely automatic threading.

But for my South Bend Heavy 10L with taper attachment the need for a powered cross slide hasn't reared it's head yet. So I added a stepper motor and a single pulse per rev sensor to the spindle and now I can do metric threads on a 1942 imperial lathe. But even more useful, I no longer have to worry about hitting the chuck jaws when feeding. Forget the threading. Just turning to the same end position each time on each pass.

Back then a multi-line encoder of any flavour ran well over $100 which is why MACH2/3 also only used a single pulse per rev. If it worked for MACH3 it could work for the ELS. Now there are Arduino Electronic Gearing Systems falsely passing themselves off as Electronic Lead Screws but I don't really care.

I still have kits available but the work generated by creating that product more than covered my losses in developing my ELS. And I don't have to worry about paying attention to the half nut for turning towards the spindle.

I like the 'hands-on' aspects of the machining hobby; I'm just a beginner. "If it was good enough for Elmer Verberg, it's good enough for me.." blah, blah, etc... :)
For somebody with an ongoing computing interest and skills, that 'modern approach' (CAD, CAM, 3D printers, etc.) makes a lot of sense, I guess. Not for me- though I was a computer 'early adopter' and hobbyist at one time. Even DROs 'leave me cold'. :) So I am a definite outlier here.
I'd rather use a hand plane than program the tool path for a computerized router.
The only firmware upgrade that I'd welcome is the one for the computer between my ears, but that's not on the horizon as far as I can see. I'll have to keep asking Santa for the MontyPython strap-on brain for now. :)

I recently sold my Model 200 Logan Lathe (for $1,500 to a friend, open market would have let it go for $2k), so depending on the model number Flat belts. Based on the picture thats what I guessing it is. Rubber Bushings need to re-done (I used hockey pucks to make mine about 25 years ago, easy fix, I turned then with the failled bushings in place easy as pie).

Model number table

This lathe has from what I can see all the accessories. As to the gear box, it is a swap system of changing gears to get different thread pitches and feeds (one pic shows the cover open and the brass gear change plate appears to be there). What it is missing is the tray, cast legs and cast motor support, not a deal breaker as it appears to mounted to a wooden base (I would ask though).

Loved the lathe, so why did I get rid of it, spindle bore was 7/8 and I needed at least 1-3/8 for some of the work I do. The time savings not having to do work arounds was enough to justify the change.

The friend that bought it is more than pleased, his change on the machine is make new dials for it to all for a bigger numbers for older eyes. He has also said he found an article that suggest a car serpentine belt is a good permanent flat belt replacement.
As to spindle speeds up to 12 speeds.

If you are looking for savings and it runs ok $1-2k is about the range they go for.

BTW my friend replaced his new (less than 1yr old) cheap chinese mini lathe (smaller) with this one that had a larger spindle though smaller bed and swing.

Last edited:
Once you get used to a quick change gear box you will never go back to change gears.

Call me crazy, but I actually like changing gears - it's just a part of the setup for me.

I also like the simplicity - less to go wrong.

Lastly, I like the potential ability to make gears for custom thread pitches. Originally, I was only thinking of cutting them, but I'd also like to try printing them when I get a 3D printer.

Back