• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Live center

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I don't think you need any pointers that looks pretty darn good to me......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just finished my first project, a live center with dual bearings in

Awesome work! I just bought a good live center. I should have made one instead like you did.

I have a few questions:

1. What is the lip on the housing for?

20211222_182752~3.jpg

2. How do you ensure a repeatable and precision fit between the MT taper and the live center axis? I don't see any way to do that without a register or something at the threaded connection.

3. Is that a hardened tip I see at the nose?

Sorry for the delayed response, Christmas and all. The lip has no purpose, as to the threaded part, it only threads in to that point and I have a set screw on the other side of it, it i have the corresponding mark on the shaft of the live center.

Aliva

Super User
You might want to make a spare tip similar to the attached image. It will give you more room to get a tool holder/ insert closer to the work center.jpg