Live Center Bearing

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Tried driving it toward the pointy headstock end because the not as pointy tailstock end was threaded inside and it didn't look like it would make it.
No dice. Drove it out of the not as pointy tailstock end past the threads without much problem.
Turns out it is a pretty common bearing.
Would I be wrong in assuming most MT2 taper tailstocks would use the same size bearing on that end given the restrictions due to the MT2 taper dimensions? There's not a lot of wiggle room at that end.
I re-assembled it without the bearing in the tailstock end just to keep it together in one piece. Spins freely without discernable wobble.
Was I correct in thinking there should have been a ball between the end of the center and the screw on cap? Both parts are dished.
"I'm a bit dislexic"
If you're also insomniac and agnostic do you lay awake at night wondering if there is a dog?

jannickz

I'm glad to hear that you were able to identify and fix the problem with your lathe live center. It's important to regularly inspect and maintain your tools and equipment to ensure that they are safe and functioning properly. Remember to Inspect the bearings for wear and tear and replace the bearings if they are worn or damaged.