Lincoln Electric 225 Precision TIG Welding Machine

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
I'm consider selling my TIG machine so that I can upgrade. I bought it in about 2014 and it sat in a box until 2018 (had no shop space at the time). It hasn't been heavily used as I tend to do more MIG welding than anything else. I'll throw in some tungsten and aluminum and steel welding rod w/ purchase to a forum member (like a "starter" package). MSRP is ~$5700 (meaning to buy new w/ taxes, it would cost ~$6450) - when getting quotes for my upgrade, I am being quoted more than MSRP. :(

As of right now, I haven't decided what I'm going to price it at... I have a number that "makes" things work for me - if it has that value to someone things would move along pretty easily.

I'll take pictures of my machine in the next couple of days.

I'm surprised consider cost the limited duty cycle compared to lower cost machines in the same class, not knocking the quality, just the duty cycle.

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
I'm surprised consider cost the limited duty cycle compared to lower cost machines in the same class, not knocking the quality, just the duty cycle.

40% duty cycle at 130 amps doesn't seem like it would have a large impact on most users. The air-cooled torches need a break and I don't recall ever going past ~102A welding with 3/32" rod. Keep in mind that at 110 amps duty cycle is 60% - I'm not an electrical engineer or anything, but I'd be curious about the duty cycle in a 60-90 amp range (where I have it set the highest majority of the time using 3/32" tungsten).

Because I've had ties with the company in the past, I haven't considered other machines in the same class... I'm not even sure what those would be. Having been inside of the R&D labs at Lincoln Electric headquarters, I'm not sure what companies (other than the blue welders and maybe the yellow ones) would have the resources to develop the tech the machines use. (I am biased, so perhaps I'm also naïve)

The are a fair bit of asian machines out there are lower cost, good quality along with warranty and service.

Primeweld comes to mind, 100%@ 155amps down to 40%@225amps, the torch is a CK17 so I believe that is 145 before it starts to get hot and CK limits duty cycle, but you can a water cooled torch and the system is set up for it.

Indicating that designs and development is limited to North America is some what misleading, as design can be anywhere and cheap manufacturing with good control can also be anywhere. Chances are that some parts of Lincoln come from the same sources.

So for me when it comes to a 1/3 the price (new, good warranty, support and service with a higher duty cycle) honestly makes me wonder as to what Lincoln is really thinking, unless they are relying in their Name using that to pull their customers in? The only draw back I see on the machine is, it is BIG and the fan is on constantly when running.

Just say'n.

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
The research on how to get the best performance out of the welder is done in Cleveland - I have no clue where electrical components are made but where they are made doesn't affect the welding parameter tech...

I checked out the Primeweld welder ($825USD) and watched the video... I don't think they're a fair comparison as far as performance goes; not even in the same realm. It'd be great for someone that does the odd weld here and there and doesn't do it enough to master the skill; the reviewer has a difficult time getting the machine to work consistently.

The 225 is big and heavy; it's a transformer machine so it's not as compact as the inverter machines. I'm not sure that the fan is always on... IIRC it has some "smart" tech where perhaps, if the fan is on all the time, that it changes RPM as required (like a high/low). We were trained to turn our machines off while not using them so when I go onto prepping or whatever I typically turn it off and haven't noticed the fan noise... the fan noise doesn't wash out the sound of welding and I wear earplugs when I am starting an arc.

When we were at "the school" we used Miller Dynasty and Synchrowave welders (big transformer types, not the ones they currently sell; made the 225 look tiny) and the 225 I had in 2011 was crisper, had a smoother and more buttery flow. This is my third 225 and was to be "the forever TIG".

I think it's kind of like comparing my Craftex lathe to the Colchester we had at work...

You are entitled to your opinion. Perhaps there's someone that's unbiased who has an opportunity to try them out side-by-side - I know that's how LE compares their tech with the other top brands.

Check out The Fabricator on YouTube. He did a live instructional feed and the TIG of choice was the 225.

Sorry don't get me wrong, not sayin LE is not a good machine, just pricey and there may be other less expensive option out there, that provide all that's needed and allow you to have all the machines you need.

Bang for buck when its your pennies that count.

Now for the right price of a used machine......;)

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
That's actually the video I'm referring to - it's on Primeweld's website as an advertisement for the machine.

I was just out testing the machine (to ensure it's in good shape to sell) - I hadn't run this one on aluminum yet so I did a 9" lap weld on some 1/4" that's been sitting around - 150 amp torch and the 30 amp breaker (in the panel) become issues before hitting duty cycle (running 110-130 amp AC). I can confirm that the fan is "on demand". (3/32" electrode and filler rod... I wish I had something about 3/16" or 1/8" to practice on, that's be right in this things wheel house - I've welded pop cans together, aluminum brake line, and repaired radiator fins w/ one of the other 225s I've had)

This machine has hardly been broken in - I've been using MIG for most of my work and could show anyone the projects I've used it on - there might be 20' of weld... Because I've had more than a few, I've been replaying the jobs I've done with this particular one since taking it out of the box. IIRC the first projects I did with this one were in 2019 (photo). It's welded those two projects, two Ford 9" rearends, some brackets, some training time for a friend, and then the 9" aluminum coupon I did today (I'll likely get a couple more hours on it this weekend).

Attachments

• 20190927_170751.jpg
    20190927_170751.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 12

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice machine. While I've never used a 225, I have mashed the pedal of a PT375 doing some aluminum buildup repair before. That made me giggle inside my helmet :D.

I've got it's little cousin, a sw175 and would love to one day step up to a bigger class machine like that with a few more options. It's just not in the cards right now, and I couldn't justify the cost to upgrade considering how little tig I actually do at home these days. Good luck with the sale though.

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
Just put 2 or 3 hours on the machine welding aluminum at >130 amps (mostly at 145) AC on the dedicated 40 amp circuit that I'd put in the shop for it (but it was more convenient for the MIG to be plugged into). F'ing thing ran like a champ. No duty cycle issues. I changed the position that I was holding the TIG torch in and had no issues with the torch heating up, no issues with the electrode wandering (#8 gas nozzle on an extended 3/32" collet w/ gas lense, 0.8% zirconated electrode). I got enough torch time to freshen up my aluminum technique, something that I haven't worked on since about 2006 and something I haven't practiced since 2013 when I built my last late model stockcar - I padded a 2 1/4" dia chunk of aluminum I had cut too short and added about 3/8" to it without issue...

I'm excited because I remember why I loved these welding machines - I've been doing so many new things and not having to weld any aluminum that I forgot how smooth these things are... I didn't perform any cleaning on any of these pieces and just let the machine break up the oxide layer with the AC balance.

My plans may change again and I may just be in the market for a Lincoln MIG 260 or used 256 because this thing will do everything that I need it to do as far as aluminum goes; it's already proven itself with steel and chromoly.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy Crap...... I am so jealous my blue eyes are turning green.....

I would DIE to be able to weld aluminum like that.

About all I have ever been able to do when welding aluminium is to cut it. It all falls onto the floor wherever I try to weld.

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
Padding/practice. Could be cleaner but there was more effort in getting torch time than cleanliness (zero really). There's some machining lessons to be learned as well.

Attachments

• 20220205_124101.jpg
    20220205_124101.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220205_124734.jpg
    20220205_124734.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220205_130306.jpg
    20220205_130306.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220205_133354.jpg
    20220205_133354.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 6
Have you tried 2% Lanthanated yet? I use it find it good on everthing (sort of a 2% Thorated replacement without radiation).

And yes you weld Aluminium way better than I do, mind you I was never trained and only have about 3 solid hrs on my machine, stainless is easy, steel is easy, cast is ok, Aluminium is hit and miss.

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
Yeah, I have E3 tungsten electrodes which are 2% lanthanated - I haven't used them in a long time - I have so many 2% thoriated that I use them for steel.

Lots of things I've had to (been forced to) work with in the past are pretty hazardous (military's "health and safety" policies and education are deplorable) so I haven't been very concerned with it because I wear a respirator while grinding them. Geiger counters hardly detect a package of ten; the illuminated/glow in the dark elements of orienteering compasses, gun sights, etc. are other sources that I'd be just as worried about.

The 0.8% zirconated electrodes seem to be pretty similar to the E3s I had used in the past (Linde?) - I'd likely need to try them side-by-side for a comparison to tell if there's any difference. Likely would need more practice so I'm more consistent to give it a fair shake.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Mostly all WAAAY over my head!

Thoriated? Zirconated? Lanthanated? Glow in the dark?

Holy Crap...... Did you guys ever try beaming somebody up with one of those things?

To be fair, I am one of those (you might say gets OCD when on a new endeavor....has to know as much as possible before starting).

Up until get my Tig, never welded with one, or was ever taught to properly weld other than a lesson or two in high school on stick.

Did about 12 months of research on which welder, which included brand name to cheap China made garbage. Along the way, tungsten came into the picture about 3 months parallel, hence the Blue. As to technique, there was about 6 months watching and reading.

When I got the welder the first weld was mild steel scrap, 4", not bad this is easy, the second (moments later) Aluminium not well prep'd but hey good penetration (cut cross section), not pretty but functional.

Got rid of my Mig (used flux core only and needed the space).

Haven't looked back. To date have welded Cast iron (quality unknown), mild steel, HR steel, SS (for home) renovation, so far each weld gets better and better. Use a foot peddle and weld both hands in whatever position is needed. Starting to stacked dimes more regularly (getting a feel of how the material flows).

This is all with only a few hours. TIG is easy and far exceeds my expectations.

Before anyone comments, Yes, MIG has serious advantages but if I need those I'll use stick instead since my machine can do it (still need to practice here and learn the machine) which has other advantages. And yes, you can weld Aluminium with stick (was explained the process by a customer who was an ex CN rail welder).

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
So the welder that would have replaced the 225 in my upgrade doesn't have an option on it that I desperately need and therefore I am best to keep the 225 until I'm ready to upgrade it to an Aspect - with how little I've used the 225 it may be several years or even a decade before I make the leap.

Sorry. (other wise "SOLD", but to myself)

I do need a MIG - I've had two long term loaners (180Ts) and situations have changed where one owner can actually use his own now, and the other isn't doing massive amounts of work in my shop. Really, I could use more "uumph" as well; the 180T doesn't have enough voltage/amperage for my capabilities. I'll put more information on my "projects thread" instead of continually bumping this sale item.

I'm not sure if the admin has the capability, but "locking" this thread may be a good idea. I'll take questions/comments here: https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/thirtyone-drivers-projects.4583/