• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Light bracket

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
F5CA0875-5CB2-4CC0-8A60-C02906D78BD0.jpeg
My centre light box needs fixing. The stainless has some cracks and broken areas. So I got this aluminum bracket bent up.

I’m thinking find the centres, measure out to mount the license plate. The license plate light is two holes, so measure out from the centre line and mark. Then figure out where to mount the two 4” round lights. Roughly how it’s pictured.

I’m curious how bad a 4 1/2” hole saw is going to wander.

Pretty basic, and not very exciting.

As always, just curious if there’s a better way to tackle this. Sometimes brainstorming out loud gets some interesting answers to debate

Attachments

• 64E38A75-F506-4717-A2AE-4EA30F0BC8C3.jpeg
    64E38A75-F506-4717-A2AE-4EA30F0BC8C3.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
A trick used by carpenters to enlarge a door knob hole that was drilled too small is to clamp a piece of sacrificial wood behind it. It gives the drill bit something to guide it and prevent the hole saw from wandering. You get a cleaner hole. Also, if possible, never use a hole saw vertically; the teeth biting in erratically cause it to jump. You'll get a cleaner hole if you feed the hole saw horizontally with a hand drill.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Another way is to use the holesaw to cut a 4 ½” hole in a piece of ½-¾” plywood and clamp that to the metal. Use the 4 ½ hole to guide the saw.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Another way is to use the holesaw to cut a 4 ½” hole in a piece of ½-¾” plywood and clamp that to the metal. Use the 4 ½ hole to guide the saw.
Spell it out like I’m slow, please...

Locate the centre hole
Drill the centre hole
Put the drilled plywood on, around the holesaw

Then clamp the plywood to the bracket

Then drill the 4 1/2” hole?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Lots of vids if you Youtube "Enlarging a doorknob with a hole saw." But here's two examples:

I get that you are not enlarging a hole, but the principle is the same. You are using the wood to guide the hole saw and reduce wobble/chatter.