• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

lever activated collet chuck types..

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I know someone with this collet chuck that don't use or need. They asked if I may wish to buy it for my Brother's Master 2500.

I think this is may be a SSF type lever collet chuck that can take DIN 6343 steel or Rubber-Flex® collets. But the collet sizes are in imperial. Is there a standard similar to 6343 I should check to see if this collet closer is?

There are 11 collets in sizes 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, and 1"

I am trying to decide if I want it. I'm not overly interested as is but I know person with boxes of rubber flex collets within which I may find some that work with this

IMG_8635.JPG IMG_8636.JPG

IMG_8637.JPG

Frcsc6el8

I know someone with this collet chuck that don't use or need. They asked if I may wish to buy it for my Brother's Master 2500.

I think this is may be a SSF type lever collet chuck that can take DIN 6343 steel or Rubber-Flex® collets. But the collet sizes are in imperial. Is there a standard similar to 6343 I should check to see if this collet closer is?

There are 11 collets in sizes 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, and 1"

I am trying to decide if I want it. I'm not overly interested as is but I know person with boxes of rubber flex collets within which I may find some that work with this

View attachment 32678View attachment 32679

View attachment 32680
I have that collet Chuck mounted on my Hendey lathe. It takes B&S 21 collets which are available in in round, square, hex and emergency sizes. I have never seen metric size collets but the round collets are available in 64ths increments.
Mine was made by KAR
The collets in the picture look very similar but I can’t be sure.
I have been very satisfied with the chuck and would recommend it to you
I would doubt that other collets are interchangeable

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have that collet Chuck mounted on my Hendey lathe. It takes B&S 21 collets which are available in in round, square, hex and emergency sizes. I have never seen metric size collets but the round collets are available in 64ths increments.
Mine was made by KAR
Thanks for the input.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Mine was made by KAR
I've sent this info to the owner, along with the #21 B&S collet dimensions for him to verify if these are B&S collets, and have asked what he wants for these items if anyone wants to buy them

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update:

Okay so these are definitely not Brown and Sharpe #21 collets. I requested the dimension of the collets and got these dimensions back from the owner.

Collet dimensions as follows:

d= 1.887
L= 3.683
D= 2.392
d internal= 1.660.

Push%20type%20collets-5522.jpg

In my book that makes these collets DIN 6343-48, or as Hardinge calls them B42 or TF48 index round collets. I'm not sure what their dimensional tolerances are but I'm betting the owner used calipers and not micrometers to measure these dimensions so that would explain the slight dimensional differences. The dimensions are very close to the standard, and the dimensions are not nearly as close to the dimensions of any of the other 30 plus collet types I checked in my charts.

d (A): 48.0mm OR 1.889"

L (B): 94.0mm OR 3.700"

D (C): 60.0mm OR 2.362"

α = 15° angle (hardinge says 14.5)

One of my charts lists the internal diameter as having a M43 x 1 thread (1.6929")... the measurement I was given is 1.660

So now unless someone wants to suggest something else I think we know what we have.

Now what is this lever chuck and the 11 collets worth? Once we have a fair price I think I'll be putting this item up for sale in the classified ads section. I'm expecting my brother to pass on the chuck