• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Let there be Light

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
They have survived how many expensive & now redundant fads that have come & gone already with questionable net improvement but a whole lot more money.

If you find a therapy group for this same observation I am having, I will car pool with you.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
I'm still running old school fluorescent's. I keep saying I'll upgrade when the last of my bulbs burn out, but they refuse to die. They have survived how many expensive & now redundant fads that have come & gone already with questionable net improvement but a whole lot more money. I think LED is here to stay & the price seems to be dropping every year. The main thing is the light is better.

goto homedepot and pick up a couple of 6500k T8/T12(depending on what you have) bulbs and replace just one set of bulbs. 6500k are ALOT brighter than all the others. it's a very sharp light unlike the 3000k bulbs which are closer to the flourescant's you already own. You'll go back to get a case pretty damn quick. The differance is like night and day. I still need to replace 8 more tubes in my shop and then I'm completely LED. A little expensive but worth it. BTW, I did nothing to my fixtures. The old ballasts are still in place. The LED T12's plugged in and worked out of the box. So far it's been a year since I started replacing the bulbs and nothing has broken.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmmm didnt know that. I thought the old gen florescent ballasts were not suitable for LED retrofits. That's the problem, technology changes rather quickly. Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like Statler & Waldorf

Attachments

• SNAG-000 4-2-2019.jpg
    SNAG-000 4-2-2019.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmmm didnt know that. I thought the old gen florescent ballasts were not suitable for LED retrofits. That's the problem, technology changes rather quickly. Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like Statler & Waldorf
Ya and they keep on changing on us...just a few years ago (Maybe 5) I bought a bathroom light fixture from Home Depot and I asked about the weird bulb base/socket...."that's the new style they are going to" the sales person told me. Now I have a odd ball fixture thats hard to find bulbs for. Grrrrr. IMG_20190402_1240352~2.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
oh ya. Got one of those too circa 2008. The ever so popular double pin & twirly bulb. Aren't those landfill unfriendly too? Another donation to the Betamax museum.
Like herding cattle to the McDonald's 'this way for a good time' door - the solution is to buy a brand new Chinese fixture for 49$ using 'current' light bulbs.

John Conroy

Premium Member

I bought a bunch (12 in my garage) of the Costco LED replacement tubes for my old school T12 fluorescent fixtures in my garage. The instructions say they are plug and play with T8 ballasts. T12 ballasts have a higher starting voltage than T8 ones but it's been 2 years and the LED tubes are still going strong and I use them a lot. They use 18 watts per tube instead of 40 that the T12's used. They cost about $19 each. Side benefits (beside half the power consumption) are they are way brighter and work no matter how cold it is.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
News to me as well but will look into these when mine go. By then we'll probably be looking at laser retrofits though.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
JC> old school T12 fluorescent fixtures in my garage. The instructions say they are plug and play with T8 ballasts.

Just so I have my terminology straight, if I have 2-tube x 48" fluorescent fixture now - those are T12?
And you're saying you just replaced tubes with LED T8 without the ballast swap & that worked ok?
I always assume you had to get a matching ballast & then you may as well get a new LED fixture.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yes 48" T12 tubes. You can tell T12 from T8 by the diameter of the tubes. T12 are 12/8ths or 1.5" and T8 are 8/8 or 1". There are also T5 bulbs available. Anyway I wasn't sure they would work with the T12 ballasts so I only bought 2 a first. If they had failed my plan was to just return them to Costco. They didn't fail and I bought 10 more and installed them directly where the T12 tubes were and they work perfectly. 2 years later and still no failures. A couple of my buddies have done the same for a total of about 36 tubes, none have failed.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
That's all I did. Replace the T12 bulbs I had with T12 LED's from Home Depot. I bought 6500k 2100lumen tubes which are super white and bright. 3000k is soft, whereas 5000k is natural I believe. Pic's of the box I used to replace the tubes next to them. close up of the bulb box. I don't know how old the ballasts are in my fixtures. I purchased them used for $25 from someone upgrading there basement. I've had them for 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm glad you guys mentioned this, I had a convoluted notion of what was involved. Home Depot here I come.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Wait - wait!

There are both kinds of LED retrofit kits available! You can get the ballast types, and till lose energy in the ballast. for a dual 40 watt ballast they consume about 8-10 watts of power. When using the LEDs at 19 watts they still use 10 watts of power, meaning almost 30% energy loss (even with net light gain).

The other kind of retrofit uses 120 volts directly to the tube, so you emiminate the ballast. these are actually slightly brighter on average than the ballasted LED tubes, and don't waste almost 10 watts per ballast. These tubes are often cheaper than the ones that jsut plug in, but require rewiring the fixture. Not a terrible burden, but still work.

I'm running 55W flat panels and 16W unballasted retrofit tubes in my shop. both work very well.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I got mine at amazon.ca - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015PCTXMI...m/images/I/91dK41VuOLL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B015PCTXMI

I got 34 tubes at 2320 lumens each buring 18w each. It is bright but not too bright. Had it for almost 2 years. Work great. Power usage is a bit high but manageable at over 600w. Total power per sq ft is around 100 - which is not bad - about average. You still need point/ task light.

Some people go 2x as much some 1/2 that. I guess its personal preference.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I just got done wiring up four 4’ LED light fixtures yesterday. I’m aiming to add 3 more when I get a chance. You guys weren’t kidding on the improvement they make.

Home Depot had a box of 10 LED bulbs for $52 I think.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
According EN 12464 Light and lighting - Lighting of workplaces -Indoor work places, the minimum illuminance is 50 lx for walls and 30 lx for ceilings. Earlier it was common with light levels in the range 100 - 300 lux for normal activities. Today the light level is more common in the range 500 - 1000 lux - depending on activity. For precision and detailed works the light level may even approach 1500 - 2000 lux.

In my shop, 20'x20', I have 14 fluorescent fixtures (28 bulbs), and I have an average light intensity of 1400 lux, (without task lights switched on.) I wish I had more light!!