• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lathes.. Lathes and more lathes

Crankit

Facebook is on fire around my area with metal lathes... A old Monarch... A Southbend 9"/13"... A Colchester Triumph.... a little 7"X12" model lathe and Atlas 6". Usually I see a lathe every few months but three in a day is unheard of.... Anyone wanting to come to the Okanagan for a lathe and sun should come out

Cheers

Wayne

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member

Ya gotta love people selling stuff that they really don't know anything about! That is not an Atlas nor is it a 6 inch! It is a Clausing 12 inch:

img28.gif

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing/page6.html

(To be fair, the ad title does say "Clausing/Atlas".)

If it is in reasonable shape and has a full set of change gears with it, then the $750 asking price is not bad.

I thought you guys said all the deals are back East?!?

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I believe Clausing bought Atlas way back and sold their machines and people often used the names interchangeably. The fine folks across the pond refer the size of a lathe by the radius of the material it can swing not the diameter like we do, so a 12" lathe would be considered a 6" lathe. Lots of room for confusion.

Crankit

Ya gotta love people selling stuff that they really don't know anything about! That is not an Atlas nor is it a 6 inch! It is a Clausing 12 inch:

img28.gif

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing/page6.html

(To be fair, the ad title does say "Clausing/Atlas".)

If it is in reasonable shape and has a full set of change gears with it, then the $750 asking price is not bad.

I thought you guys said all the deals are back East?!?

Craig

Lol.....That's my fault getting British/USA lathe sizing mixed up in my head. My 4 1/2 Boxford is bigger than my 6" Atlas.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Except the last lathe on the list all others seem to be priced normally or even high (seriously someone wants $900 for used mini lathe? I can get them in 7x14 for less new).

I am a bit suspect of the $750 lathe not used for 30 years - I guess they did clean it up for the pictures. If it can be checked and all is in order its a good deal.