lathes and mill in Saskatoon

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Wow:eek: Those look to be in great condition. What kind of mill is that? Vertical or Horizontal? Can't figure out what I'm looking at there.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow, that Colchester Student looks primo!
That will fetch top dollar to be sure.

Chipper5783

Wow:eek: Those look to be in great condition. What kind of mill is that? Vertical or Horizontal? Can't figure out what I'm looking at there.
I have the next size down on the mill (actually two of them). It is either a vertical or a horizontal (depends which head you put on it). Maho made very nice machines, sort of a novel configuration, but very nice. Both my machines also came from TransOcean (now out of business). Tony Griffiths has a good write up on them. Looks like a 40 spindle, with drawbar converted to 5/8-11 or M16 (the SK40 - S2x20 buttress tooling is harder to find used, thus expensive if buying new). Maho made a good range of accessories (I've posted the documentation on PM and/or HM) - not as many accessories as was available for the Deckel's, but still a good selection. Of course all those extra items are now difficult to find (and the reason that I bought the second machine when I had the chance).

Deckel has nearly a cult status following. The Maho's are every bit as good, but never got the status.

Chipper5783

Photo of the MH600 with vertical head. I suspect the one on auction, referenced above is out of Sask Polytech, vintage '62-'66ish (same livery as my '63, in '65 they were sort of a grey tan colour). The brochure claims it is 2800 lbs, travels XYZ: 15.75 x 9.875 x 14.625.

DSC02656.JPG DSC02656.JPG

Rotaxxx

Don't expect to get a deal on it, think the last Colochester lathes that sole there went for $10k... Plus the auction company has some shady fees as well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
oooh! I'm tempted - and I shouldn't be. This configuration of mill has been my dream since one got through my fingers 25 years ago! I have no room!

Rotaxxx

I didn't even log on and I saw this
Notice the 15% buyers premium up to 750.

They charge you a certain % when you pay with a credit card, and a different % when paying with debit. They are also known to randomly pull auctions for no reason, or get their employees to bid on lots that are selling too "cheap" to be the high bidder. Then re-list the items a month or two later, hoping no one realizes. I would not give them any of my hard earned $$$. Just a heads up.

Chipper5783

What's the big deal, so long as you are aware of what it is really going to cost you? If they have the machine you want, and it goes cheap enough - the commissions are just part of the price. The Apex fees & taxes work out to about 23%. At the Apex auction in Edmonton I got 2 oil skimmers (which I actually need, and they run from about $450-$800 for the size I was looking at). The skimmers are new old stock (but the belts had been removed from the kit). I got the lot (one lot, two skimmers), with fees for $75 - a skimmer belt is another $75 each. So for $225 I have two new skimmers. I new what I was getting into, so I adjusted my maximum bid accordingly.

It seems it may be the original owner that ends up footing the bill of a lower hammer price.