• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Lathe turning square stock with replaceable insert?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do underst
I wanted it sooooo bad haha. 1890 WF Barnes

I do understand. Mine is a mid 1880s F E Reed. I had nothing at the time. I wanted it so bad I couldn't sleep at night. In the end the guy gave it to me in exchange for getting it out of his basement. I was 250 pounds of solid muscle back then. I took it up his narrow steep stairs alone. That old Reed and I did many beautiful things together.

I hardly use it now. Mainly for polishing and woodwork. I don't think I could bring myself to sell it. But if some big kid drools over it, I'd prolly let it go.

Tom O

Ultra Member
That looks like it is in a museum or something, What is the thing in the first pic with the hand wheel and the second pic middle right any ideas?

WilliamR

I do underst

I do understand. Mine is a mid 1880s F E Reed. I had nothing at the time. I wanted it so bad I couldn't sleep at night. In the end the guy gave it to me in exchange for getting it out of his basement. I was 250 pounds of solid muscle back then. I took it up his narrow steep stairs alone. That old Reed and I did many beautiful things together.

I hardly use it now. Mainly for polishing and woodwork. I don't think I could bring myself to sell it. But if some big kid drools over it, I'd prolly let it go.
Holy herniation. The treadle sold for $2700. No idea how to set a value? If you advertised I bet there would be a lot of interest.

WilliamR

That looks like it is in a museum or something, What is the thing in the first pic with the hand wheel and the second pic middle right any ideas?
Sorry I couldn't even guess. The guy was a collector of "Steampunk" stuff. That was his description. Really amazing collection though, and he had restored most if not all of it himself. Think he made a lot of it as well. He has a short video and it looks like 1920's mad scientist film set.
27973876_10154993464451213_8238975384512669680_n.jpg

Last edited:
I pretty well use mostly carbide for everything now, much long life, sharper edges, cleaner cuts if you pick your tooling right.

There are a few very specialized jobs custom cutters that I use HS tooling, though it is few and far between.

It is finding the nerve to be agressive with the cuts to understand how your machine and tooling cuts with carbide, most cases it goes against HS tooling wisdom. Lower rpm high torque heavy feeds if your machine can handle it or high speed ultra light cuts depending on your power. Its aboit learning that balance on your machine. Word of worning make sure you have your work holding done correctly.....

BTW obtaining this knowledge does cost money up front as you will break and damage things.

Don't forget your squinty safety glasses ;) and a good first aid kit near by!

WilliamR

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I have speeds, feeds and angles wrong. Probably incorrect inserts for job as well. I'm with you on the PPE as I do enjoy my eyesight.