Lathe repowering

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have my Accel set for 3 seconds, and today I tried to increase Decel brake time to 1.5sec and it does not give me that option, so I went up to two seconds. Tried it for a while and Nah, back to one second, and we're all good.
As the Amazon truck pulled in today and left me a couple nice E-stop buttons and a 7 ft Cat5 cable, that means tomorrow I'll chop up the CAT cable and wire up my switch box. I can't foresee getting into the big shitty any time soon so for an 8 dollar delivered price that was the way to do it.
I have yet to feel heat in my resistor block so I'm thinking because it is a 10hp drive running a 5hp motor, this is child's play.
I've only blown one gearbox in my life (now they call them Transo_O) on a 1953 Buick when I was burning rubber in front of the high school. And yes, the point of sudden reversal at full throttle will do it. Luckily the VFD is smart enough to slap on the brakes and stop, then reverse.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You may not be giving the designers of these machines enough credit for how strong they built them…

You are absolutely correct. I prefer to err on the safe side. It's in my DNA to do so.

I confess I'm a little leery of beating this subject to death. But I am genuinely concerned about adding faster braking to a lathe or adding a bigger motor WITHOUT suitable other mechanisms to manage those very significant increased loads. Doubling them as is often done is simply not a trivial change in my opinion.

I do have good engineering experience and knowledge to justify my caution. I know exactly what will happen to a vehicle transmission if you double the horsepower and I know exactly what will happen if you throw the transmission into reverse to brake the vehicle at full engine output - both assuming you can transfer that power to the road like you can to the work on a lathe.

Both are extreme examples. I only use them to make the point that gear trains are expensive and very seldom overdesigned all that much.

I'll also wager that the gears on your Colchester are much more likely to have a stronger safety factor than those on than my Taiwanese Lathe.

Although those of us who use our machines with care and within their limits never have a problem, we all know that lathe gears, shafts, and even boxes can and do break for any of a multitude of reasons - usually abuse. They are not infinitely strong. My guess is that gear sizes and strengths are simply chosen to exceed the requirements by whatever increment is available off the shelf on design. Therefore some parts will be much stronger than needed and some will only be marginally stronger. It's those marginal choices that scare me.

If you cut the design braking time in half, you double the load in the gear train. If you accelerate twice as fast, you double the design gear train load. That is a rather over-simplified but obvious reality.

That's why I'm cautious about doubling the motor size or reducing the braking time.

I think we can all agree that bigger chucks and bigger parts significantly increase the loads and therefore it isn't as simple as spinup or spindown time. But I am inclined to believe that we can think about those like multipliers that were also factored into the design.

With all that mombo jumbo as background, here is the rub and my real concern. Let's use your lathe as an example.

It is rather impressive that your Colchester will accelerate from zero to 1000 rpm in one second. Mine certainly won't.

Now let's swap that 8" chuck for a 12", and add a big flywheel that you are truing. Your lathe is definitely designed to handle that additional load. But I doubt your accel time is still 1 second. I bet it's more like 4 seconds or even more as the work load gets greater. That's because all the available horsepower is used while spinning up the lathe. There isn't any more hp available to speed up the accel time with the higher load. Same goes for braking time - it will increase with higher loads too.

However, the subject that I have focussed on with my cautions is the impact of adding a bigger motor or adding more braking capacity (via the motor) over the original design.

There is only one way (that I can think of) to do it safely. That is to arbitrarily increase the acceleration/decell time proportionally to the load in order to prevent the bigger motor/brakes from overloading the gear train.

Increasing/decreasing the time is easy. Proportional to the load is not. You can use a VFD to control the accell time of a bigger motor but to what? The same? I don't think so. Double? I don't think so either. I'd guess the same is fine with the no load, but prolly 5x is more realistically safer because of the possibility of higher loads (bigger chucks, heavier work). Essentially, the lathe was designed for a smaller motor and the safest thing to do is to simulate the smaller motor's accell time vs various loads. The problem is that a VFD (or other control device) does not know the load curve, so I think you have to use the worst case and set it up for accell/decell for the heaviest load you anticipate ever using. Same goes for braking.

Of course, that also means it's overkill for 95% of the real world uses. It's also gunna feel funny with a slower no load accell time with a bigger motor than was there before with the smaller motor....... but it is what it is.

If you decide to be aggressive and set all the times the same, everything will work just fine forever - PROVIDED there are no additional loads. But I'd highly recommend increasing these times to accommodate those times when you do have bigger loads.

Thanks for the opportunity to unload my brain on this topic. I've been thinking about it for a while now and needed to be able to lay it all out in this way for my own benefit as well as for anyone else who didn't bail out after the first few paragraphs.

Lastly, as an engineer, I tend to write things in absolutes even though they are really mostly educated opinions. That style of writing is also an outcome of my time teaching - so it's a double whammy. Please forgive me for that. In reality I enjoy and welcome debate and disagreement.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've only blown one gearbox in my life (now they call them Transo_O) on a 1953 Buick when I was burning rubber in front of the high school. And yes, the point of sudden reversal at full throttle will do it. Luckily the VFD is smart enough to slap on the brakes and stop, then reverse.

Funny to see you use the same example I used! I didn't see your post till after I wrote mine.

PS - we called them a "tranny".

Also agree that we are lucky that VFDs are smarter than we are.

I hope you enjoy reading my fulsome description of the issues as I see them in my previous post.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Funny to see you use the same example I used! I didn't see your post till after I wrote mine.

PS - we called them a "tranny".

Also agree that we are lucky that VFDs are smarter than we are.

I hope you enjoy reading my fulsome description of the issues as I see them in my previous post.
John, I do enjoy reading your posts and they are well thought out. Don't ever stop.

We called cross dressers gearboxes back then, and standard transmissions were also gearboxes. Automatics were slushboxes or tranny's. Different kids in different areas develop slang in odd ways. We used to have 'destruction derbys' and all that faded away for years, and now the community where I get my mail has 'demolition derby's.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Susquatch I agree with all your observations / comments 100%. No need to apologize for being an engineer.

A few points:

a) I did not “hot rod” my Colchester; it is designed and built with a 5 hp electric motor and a clutch system.

b) As I mentioned, the Colchester uses clutches and an electromechanical brake; they are set using a “no load” condition (just the 8” chuck). Both being mechanical devices and the way they function, they will protect the drive train under heavier loads by absorbing the excess energy in form of slippage (thus producing heat). Yes, the accel / decel times are proportionately longer the heavier the loads (thus protecting the gear train).

c) A VFD is a different animal (if I understand them correctly). It will try to keep the accel / decel times as programmed (up to its design [current?] limit) regardless of load. The motor will follow this energy input and transmit it downstream into the gear train - which hopefully is able to cope with it. If it can’t, something will break.

d) My Standard Modern 1340 lathe did not have a clutch. It was belt drive from the motor to the input shaft. The manual called for a specific belt tension. Under ”heavy loads” the belt would slip just a bit during acceleration thus protecting the gear train that way.

Ironman

Ultra Member
My belts are a little on the loose side as well, just my feeling whats right. OTOH, Johns concern is for a Taiwanese lathe. And I had a friend using my lathe in the late 80's who crashed it and ripped out a gear. It was cast iron helical cut. It was very difficult to get another gear and took a year to get Busy Bee to poop one out.
My lathe has parts available and so does a Colchester. I am set up to cut gears, especially straight gears like mine has, so I may do that if I ever needed to. I've already cut the back gears I was missing to cut metric threads.
So a person's concerns are also based on reality.
I also noted, when thinking about it, that anytime I have a large heavy mass in the chuck or faceplate, I am going with slow rotation to not damage an insert and to keep the fear level down if it came loose.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I am finding all of the discussion fascinating! From an 'ersatz' point of view, I have a little to share.

A clutch lathe is designed very differently from a gear head lathe. The clutch can act as a safety buffer, where there is no 'relief valve' in a gear head lathe. From my limited experience on clutch lathes, I find them more robustly built, partly due to people using the clutch to reverse the spindle direction. From my observations of RH's Colchester, and John's Boheringer clutch lathes, the gear mesh and backlash in the gear train is very tight - they have very little operating gear noise.

With that prelude, I can suggest that more caution is required on a gear head lathe like my LeBlond or @Susquatch King lathes, as the gear trains seem to be more 'loose' and so hear teeth collisions might occur if too much contrary force is applied. Even so, I can see short stopping times to be possible, perhaps working up to 3 seconds or so.

On my 1440 lathe, the gears are stout enough I might work my way to 1 second, but very definitely not on the LeBlond. 4 seconds is far more likely (or even longer) Despite the rotating mass on the LeBlond being far larger - 12" and 13" chucks - and a larger spindle, the gears are the about same width!

-- to clear up one little point, to accelerate/decelerate twice as quickly, I'm think it puts 4 times the force on the gear train, not twice the force.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch I agree with all your observations / comments 100%. No need to apologize for being an engineer.

John, I do enjoy reading your posts and they are well thought out. Don't ever stop.

Go figure. I had guessed I might have overdone it.

But when the dust cleared, it turns out we are actually all on the same page after all!

I'll go back to watching out for guys who fearlessly go where wiser men fear to travel and carry on with my current plans to put a bigger 3ph motor and VFD into my lathe with suitable precautions.

Thanks Rudy for the additional points. They are well taken.

Wish I could have seen you blow that gearbox in front of the whole school Gerry. I'd still be laughing and crying for you....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
to clear up one little point, to accelerate/decelerate twice as quickly, I'm think it puts 4 times the force on the gear train, not twice the force.

Didn't see your post when I posted the last reply.

You caught me Mr Ersatz Engineer. It's a squared relationship. My error. It does serve to underline the danger though.

Your other comments are spot on too!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
there is no 'relief valve' in a gear head lathe.
The most violent stop I have ever seen on a lathe was my buddies when it was brand new and just set up. We were giving her a few test spins and he had it running, not real fast, prob 2-300 rpm and he swithed the handle to neutral and just touched that floor brake that was factory set still...and that lathe stopped turning with the loudest "bang" of gearing coming up against each other I have ever heard. No matter how light you tried to be on that brake, it instantly locked solid.
Another observation that suports both Dabbler & Susq is to visit any of the heavey truck driveline repair sites around and have a look at the inevitable pile of ripped open driveline pipes they will have out back. It will be evident that 99% of the failures are not from torque damage on the direction of power feed...they will all be torn to the back-slap direction when the operator is in a tight spot & threw the clutch when his engine was at full torque ratio. the drive line always fails on the back-slap my theory is the weight of the outfit & the inertia slap is more than the torque rating of the driveline and it dont matter if you have a 1610 series or a 1810 series drive, its gonna break it seems.
they have the same non-existent" relief valve Dabbler mentions.