• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Lathe power lever fix

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This might be lame, but maybe worth a post if it happens on your import machine because its somewhat irritating.

My 14x40 power lever is the typical 3-position lever. Down=forward rotation, Middle = off, Up = reverse. The lever rotates a hex rod rod which opens & closes contact switches inside a cover near the head stock. The positions are indexed by a bearing ball & spring which detente in some matching depression holes in the casting. Down & Middle always operated smooth, but Up would sometimes drop out & turn the power off while machining. Might have something to do with the ridiculously heavy duty Neanderthal casting & handle assembly that would look more at home on a car jack. The set screw is uber fussy, if you turn it too much inward, the lever can stick in too well into position & you can actually overshoot neutral throw the motor into opposite direction. Not good.

I dressed the holes with a ball end mill, they were crudely drilled. I lapped the neutral action so it slides in better coming from Fwd or Rev, that was another sticking point. The switches are triggered by eccentric cams, I confirmed they were set right & also tight. It finally dawned on me that the set screw was unscrewing itself over time so changing the setup. Tonight I got positioned it with blue Loktite to stay temporarily put. Then I had just enough threads to put another set screw behind to prevent the spring retention one from migrating. It feels a bit better, lets hope it stays that way.

Attachments

• IMG_2069_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2069_edited-1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2070_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2070_edited-1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2019-10-27_22-44-34.jpg
    2019-10-27_22-44-34.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yeah,,its a clumsy set up for sure. I always wondered why they need a 10 mm hex rod to operate a tiny switch. On my lathe the handle sticks out so far that I sometimes bump it with my hip by accident.