• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Lathe, Mill, Band Saw and the Goodies at Alberta Gov't Auction

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well the lathe is very interesting for me - maybe I could get rid of the junky lathe I have right now in D1-6 and get this baby made in Slovakia. It is shorter and takes less space plus it is 100x better made then junk form India or even original UK made machine. Czechs are one of the best in the world in this on par with Germany.

The milling machine made in Poland is quite new but heavy. It is as per label a whopping 2800kg BUT it is a full power feed beast. All axis power and two milling options with most likely swing out table (!). I would not mind selling my UK horizontal and upgrading to this Polish beauty - Poles may not be as good in making stuff as Czechs (or Slovaks) but they sure can do better job then UK plus the 40 year difference cannot hurt.

I doubt these sell for next to nothing but hey, if they are maybe its worth even renting a crane to move.

Hacker

Super User
Usually the Gov of AB has their machines disconnected and sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Strange. I believe I have been in that shop and I don't think it would be that difficult to get them out of there.
I wonder what comes with them? There is a nice size dividing head beside the mill.

Hacker

Super User
Yeah, I am debating whether to bid on a few of those items, but the thought of the drive is keeping me from hitting the bid button.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is a large warehouse with 30ft or so ceilings as per pictures online - not their usual Calgary surplus. I would be shocked if they did not have a forklift at that site or at least a pallet jack. Maybe they just do not want liability for helping or simply do not care.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Currently some of these items are listed for next to nothing - likely b/c inspection is on the 18th. Given this site price reputation things should not go cheap or even close to "cheap" but you never know.

Hacker

Super User
I do know they have had their budget slashed so maybe they are saving dollars by having the purchaser move them. I am sure they have a forklift but whether or not it could move something that size that would be the question.
When it comes to buying machinery at this auction I haven't had much luck. I guess I am too cheap.

Tom O

Ultra Member
You could always phone Modern to see what they would charge to move it then you would know your bidding limits. But I wouldn’t tell them too much lol

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am guessing about 2000-3000 for the mill and about 4000-5000 for the lathe. I am also guessing 600-800 for the two drill presses. Plus 5% tax on top. This will go way above budget for modern. I am thinking of bidding on the lathe but I am sure it will fly far to high for my liking.

I have been known to grossly under estimate sale price.

I can easily move the lathe myself if needed. The mill through may be a challenge and cost a bit more.