• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Lathe Leaking oil. (Craftex B2777L)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
In the cabinet with my change gears, there is a little hole at the buttom, center:
2015-09-17 18.32.24.jpg 2015-09-17 18.32.29.jpg

This little bad boy is slowly draining my oil out. Making quite a bit of mess over time.
Seems to leak the absolute worst when running the maching for awhile.

Thoughts?
(I'm thinking maybe overfilled slightly?)

I've just been wiping up the mess when I notice it is leaking out of the cabinet, but that's not really a solution.

Shout out to @Brian Lawrence who I believe as the same lathe as me.

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Yeah I wiped up and then thought "I should ask the forum about this"

Confirmed, it's the hole. Haha

Sent from my iPhone.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If this is the right lathe/manual...? A gear head model with gears running in oil bath of headstock casting?
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCIQFjABahUKEwjow5eTtpLIAhWUSogKHZhwBJw&url=http://busybeetools.com/content/product_manuals/B2227L.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFc72V4M255vHo0BhHM5lk3Gh_lpQ&sig2=uxPcgw9DwyX18L_4EZ9z_w

I'm going to guess the bolt head with the oil puddle under is the oil drain plug? Unfortunately they don't show that side of the headstock casting in this manual. On the front they show part 72 as 'leveler'. Assuming that's the sight glass thingy. But in the instructions they say drain through 'front' side. It could also be a bolt connected to some part of internal assembly & leaking that way?
If it is a typical pipe thread drain plug, issue might be some combination of not tightened or not so good threads or lack of sealant or cracked sealant. Have you changed the oil yourself in this manner? Typically they ship them without oil, leaving that job to sales company when landed or the customer. Not sure in your case. If its positioned low in the casting, then that would kind of make sense as a drain. Maybe give BB a call too.

ps can you remove the top lid to have a peek inside without dealing with an oil drain?

Attachments

• 9-25-2015 0000.jpg
    9-25-2015 0000.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 9-25-2015 0001.jpg
    9-25-2015 0001.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 9-25-2015 0002.jpg
    9-25-2015 0002.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 5

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Close, the picture you're showing references the site glass on the front of the lathe. Those two holes are the two speed control knobs.

I'll gather some more pictures tonight / this weekend!

Yep, I can take the lid off and get inside, I've already drained the sludge out and put fresh oil in. (Proper oil according to another forum)
Here's what was in there before I cleaned it out:

JW

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think we are saying same thing. The 'front' of lathe (where I hilited yellow) is maybe the sight glass level? But what I would call the outboard left end of the headstock with pulley wheels, where you are showing leak & bolt head, is what I'm wondering is the drain plug? They make it confusing by saying change oil through the front.

Mucky oil. Sheesh, mine looks nice & clear amber through the site glass but now you have me thinking... maybe overdue

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Close, the picture you're showing references the site glass on the front of the lathe. Those two holes are the two speed control knobs.

I'll gather some more pictures tonight / this weekend!

Yep, I can take the lid off and get inside, I've already drained the sludge out and put fresh oil in. (Proper oil according to another forum)
Here's what was in there before I cleaned it out:

JW

That's gross! So what oil did you put in and where did you buy it? I assume not 10W30 from the auto store... 20W? from?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Yeah, it was pretty bad, haha.

I used a detergent free hydraulic oil. I have the can still, will check later!