• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lathe Gears, $75, Claresholm, AB

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I doubt they came from a lathe. As @Arbutus noted, splines are not common. Also, a lathe Gear set usually only has one gear pair with the same number of teeth.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Churchill lathe I used to have had splined change gears just like that.

I just said not common. I think the one I did see was a Churchill too. Did yours come in pairs like that too? I can't see how that would work.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I just said not common. I think the one I did see was a Churchill too. Did yours come in pairs like that too? I can't see how that would work.

No pairs on the Churchill but I have seen lathes before where for certain combinations you need two of the same size gear. I think my old plain change (no QCGB) Logan was like that.

The Churchill was 30t stud, 120 on the box for all imperial threads and then a 127 on the box and a few different stud sizes to do most metric threads.

My Elliott -Wilson has a QCGB but needs splined change gears to switch to some of the metric threads. I'm missing some of those gears and hoping that someday I'll be able to make them. Nothing like the ones in this ad tho.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My Elliott -Wilson has a QCGB but needs splined change gears to switch to some of the metric threads. I'm missing some of those gears and hoping that someday I'll be able to make them. Nothing like the ones in this ad tho.

The R8 20mm gear cutter arbor I ordered from Ali came yesterday. I'm hoping the Modulous 1.25 cutters come shortly. If yours are 1.25, you would be welcome to borrow it. I also have an MT3 arbour that takes 1" cutters and a large box of miscellaneous cutters for my mill drill if that works better.

There is a great discussion on @cuslog's thread here:

A few pages before the end, @John Conroy discusses making his own arbor and cutting two gears. It's a good read.

Thread 'King 1440 and Craftex Threading' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/king-1440-and-craftex-threading.7096/

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
e92b4c67-f18a-48e4-8818-4dd81db07127

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
At 7 bucks a gear, he's being reasonable. Thye can be easily (?) repurposed for other tasks, if a guy wants gears. To have one hobbed like that used to be about 75 bucks for one.

The R8 20mm gear cutter arbor I ordered from Ali came yesterday. I'm hoping the Modulous 1.25 cutters come shortly. If yours are 1.25, you would be welcome to borrow it. I also have an MT3 arbour that takes 1" cutters and a large box of miscellaneous cutters for my mill drill if that works better.

There is a great discussion on @cuslog's thread here:

A few pages before the end, @John Conroy discusses making his own arbor and cutting two gears. It's a good read.

Thread 'King 1440 and Craftex Threading' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/king-1440-and-craftex-threading.7096/
The change gears I need are DP ( diametral pitch 16) and PA 20 (pressure angle) according to my notes. Been looking for involute cutters to do that for a while.

One reason I really would like to get my dividing head up and operational is because I would love to learn how to make gears and could use a whole slew of replacement gears just for my own machines alone. Including some challenging to make bevel gears for the dividing head altho I think I can make do with the old ones for now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The change gears I need are DP ( diametral pitch 16) and PA 20 (pressure angle) according to my notes. Been looking for involute cutters to do that for a while.

Have you tried McMaster Carr? Big bucks but they have most imperial sizes.

Are you sure your gears are not metric? Ali has most metric sizes at great prices assuming they work. We will see how well the work when they arrive.

Rauce

Ultra Member

Are you sure your gears are not metric? Ali has most metric sizes at great prices assuming they work. We will see how well the work when they arrive.
DP with 20 PA is rather difficult to find. I have the same problem, hendey change gears are 18DP/20PA.

Even the involute cutters are hard to find.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Clarseholm is a farming community so could be a set of seed metering gearing for the old style wheel/press seed drills, every farmer in the district would have had one.
Yes that's what I was thinking, there are/were granular herbicide applicators that used a gear box to change application rates and used gears that looked very similar to those.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
We have Transmission Supply out here. - Long time ago they were by far the cheapest place for gears - if they carried what you want.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes that's what I was thinking, there are/were granular herbicide applicators that used a gear box to change application rates and used gears that looked very similar to those.
Clarseholm is a farming community so could be a set of seed metering gearing for the old style wheel/press seed drills, every farmer in the district would have had one.

I think you guys are spot on. That explains multiples of the same size too.

I have a Deere maxemerge vacuum planter with a chain drive and sprockets. It's a great system, WAY better than the old gear boxes, but there are days I'd like to replace the whole darn thing with the planter equivalent of an ELS! Especially since I like to run tram lines in soybeans. Getting on and off the tractor to turn rows on and off gets old faster than I do! A box with switches would be better than ice cream on a hot day! Every fall I swear I'm gunna make one over the winter but 42A always comes before 42F.

I can't find a #3 16DP 20 PA on McMaster Carr. I did find a British maker that sells them for about $225 CAD tho!