Lathe Chuck Keys by member 'a smile'

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Really nice lathe chuck keys in my Shop Dog Fabrication store. 10mm, 11mm, 12mm. Regular price is $47. One member with one thinks they should cost $70-$90.

Shipping is included in the price.

https://shop-dog-fabrication.square.site/product/luxury-lathe-chuck-key/11

Lathe Chuck Key. Stop fooling around with that annoying chuck key that came with your chuck. Upgrade to this key which is a pleasure to use. The spinning handle makes turning the key easy and fast. The adjustable position of the handle lets you turn the key quickly with low torque or slowly with high torque. The handle can then be locked into place with the knurled nut.

Beautifully designed and made by a real machining expert (forum member @a smile) the tool is made of stainless & alloy steel and has a strong indexing tip. This will give many years of productive use. Add productivity and pleasure to your machining jobs.

People in the Calgary area can pick up the chuck key if you wish.

Shipping is included.

1700796837360.png

Last edited:

Tom Fitzpatrick

I have a dividing head and an old Victor 3 jaw chuck which both take a chuck key that is close to 5/16" in size - which one you produce would you recommend?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Sun is working on other sizes but he has not made those sizes yet. I expect he will send a bunch to Amazon and to me in the new year. You could do what some people have done as Susquatch suggests and mill the tip down to the right size. Note - some people have required carbide end mill to do the job as the tips on some shipped chuck keys are surprisingly hard.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Note - some people have required carbide end mill to do the job as the tips on some shipped chuck keys are surprisingly hard.
One could probably put it into a square block fixture (a V-block and a machinist square on the grinder rest / table would also work) and grind off the excess on a bench grinder / surface grinder or T&CG.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One could probably put it into a square block fixture (a V-block and a machinist square on the grinder rest / table would also work) and grind off the excess on a bench grinder / surface grinder or T&CG.

A carbide end mill worked for me albeit with a lot of very tiny magnetic swarf. It is definitely hard. I don't know how hard.

Sun sent a fair number of them to Janger that were various versions. Apparently, some are hardened and some are not. Maybe some steel differences too.

I just chucked the drive bar in my 5C Spin Indexer. That provided the additional benefit of rounding off the corners by cranking the part like in a lathe after the flats were cut.

Worked really well and fit like a glove when it was done. Very happy.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I received my Chuck Key that @a smile made

Wow!!! It’s beautifully made. I showed it to my machinist brother in law and he said he’d enjoy just looking at it while sitting beside the ocean having a beer (He’s in Brisbane Auz). It really is that nice.

Both he and I feel that the price is a bargain!